Why become a member? ×

Frets & Fret Wear

Sparky

Hi Everyone. Have recently been wondering about the ergonomics of my P bass neck. I played an ollld vintage precision (over a good few sessions) a while back and i'm sure that the tres joyful playing experience was due largely to my perceived 'roundness' of the neck - like the fret corners had been worn from years of people playing it. Just wondering if this is likely to have been the case? Or whether it was actually down to a luthier filing the edges until they were all sweet (or to the player's requirements at the time). I'm curious to know if mine will wear in the same natural way.

Also, I'm interested about different types of fret... I think mine are Jumbo - I'm just assuming that because they feel big in comparisson to my Jazz (which is 12 years old. the P is new). How many types of fret size are there? (primarily interested in fenders but whatever - don't intend to restrict discussion). What do people prefer? Do people like to be able to feel the frets with the insides of their fingers and thumb as they move along the neck?? How do the different sizes/types affect the sound as well as the playability / feel of the neck?

Just a discussion starter really - The neck on my P feels real nice already but i'm just curious.. I can still remember how that vintage fender felt and although i'm reluctant to admit it, I do have a hankering for that touch again!

Regards, Sparky. :)