Why become a member? ×

What Are You Learning ?

[quote name='jakesbass' post='152645' date='Mar 6 2008, 08:02 PM']off topic but a really good exercise for intonation is to pick an interval and slide between the two notes in the interval on one string, change interval, repeat, use all intervals till comfortable then employ the same tactic with larger intervals that involve string crosses, change interval, repeat. When sliding try keeping contact with the string and apply a little pressure to the string between notes.
If you are wondering WTF is he on about? Its this:
familiarising yourself with exact positions on the fingerboard aids your subconcious to have more accurate reference points and sliding between notes (assuming you know what in tune is) helps you accurately position good notes
I learned this from an orchestral player on DB when I was having difficulty with a few specific notes, sorted it in no time.[/quote]

Thanks Jakesbass I'll give it a try. BTW I've enjoyed reading your contributions to the the "Stagg" thread elswhere on baschat.

Mike

Inspired by another thread on here, I am currently learning to sweep pick - a fairly useless technique, true, but it's fun!

Also learning some of Terry Gregory's great solo bass arrangements from old issues of Bassist, and Victor Wooten's 'More Luv' - all stuff i used to be able to play but have forgotton. Guess I'm going through a technique-phase!!

Stu

Jet - Cold Hard Bitch and Rolling Stones - Jumpin Jack Flash, easy ones for a minigig on Saturday, also perfecting Muse - Hysteria and trying to get a good effect for it on me GT6B

For fun, I learnt Sir Duke a couple of days ago and was quite impressed with myself that it didn't take me long to learn and play it decently well.

Might give Hilikus by Incubus a go tomorrow as I heard it before and love how groovy the bass is in it

[quote name='jakesbass' post='152645' date='Mar 6 2008, 08:02 PM']off topic but a really good exercise for intonation is to pick an interval and slide between the two notes in the interval on one string, change interval, repeat, use all intervals till comfortable then employ the same tactic with larger intervals that involve string crosses, change interval, repeat. When sliding try keeping contact with the string and apply a little pressure to the string between notes.
If you are wondering WTF is he on about? Its this:
familiarising yourself with exact positions on the fingerboard aids your subconcious to have more accurate reference points and sliding between notes (assuming you know what in tune is) helps you accurately position good notes
I learned this from an orchestral player on DB when I was having difficulty with a few specific notes, sorted it in no time.[/quote]

Nice one, Jakes! I'll give it a go and try to improve my intonation which is still a bit iffy after 40 years. Who was it who said re intonation, 'when you've played the note it's too late'. At the moment I'm working out a solo round 'Come Rain or Come Shine' for a piano trio. Some great great chords there.

'Sir Duke' is not that hard - its basically a simple pentatonic scale. Learn it by ear and the fingers bit is easy.

Personally, I am learning some Cuban stuff (Cachaito - the notes are easy, the feel IMPOSSIBLE)! Its kind of the antithesis of jazz but emotionally very satisfying.

[quote name='lonestar' post='152620' date='Mar 6 2008, 07:28 PM']That's something I've recently been working on coincidentally. Any tips?[/quote]

I play along with something fairly melodic that doesn't have a defined rhythmic bassline (ambient electronic is good for this - although anything will do if you ignore the bass). Just make sure that all my notes are in tune with the track, alternating with low-end bass notes and high-end fills. The trick is to be able to swap between them without going out of tune.