Why become a member? ×

Getting in the mood for some (Bass) lovin'

Moody

OK, this is my problem, obviously I'm fairly new to playing Bass so for me, practising is key. But this week I've really struggled with it. My conditions are not ideal. I work away from home during the week so 90% of my practise is done in a hotel room (stealthplug into laptop and some funky headphones). I've booked some time of work so I can give myself a royal kick in the backside and get moving - however, in a week or so, I'll be back in the hotel again.

What I've really struggled with this week is getting in the right frame of mind to practise, esp after a crappy day at work, and what I have done feels like it has been a waste of time to be honest. So, do I come up with a plan of what I'm going to do that night? Or let things be more organic? Scented candles? I’m a little apprehensive about a plan – it feels too much like going to the gym. Or am I missing the great big pink elephant in the corner?

Edited by Moody

I'm not sure really..... I just get a real urge to wanna plug in and play. If you want something structured then you may struggle if your living outtta hotels all week.... I have the same problem with my job where I'm traveling. though I normally take a guitar or bass with me and just play for 15-20 mins when I get back to the hotel.... that usually gives me enough to be going on with.

When I'm away with work, I take a bass, the Tascam CD-BT1 and my ipod.

I'll have my meal early, have a couple of pints of beer to chill me out, then head back to the room, plug in and go.

I look forward to this session all day, sometimes, it's great and I'm "in the zone" eyes closed and away after a song or two, other days I'm just not up for it. I don't think there's a secret formula for "getting in the mood", it just happens when it happens, and don't force it if it's not happening. If you're practising and not enjoying it, give it a rest for a few days and come back to it later.

For me this is an easy one. It's listening to music that makes me want to play.

I find the same thing works on other people: I start playing my daughter's violin pieces on my bass and, magically, she suddenly has the urge to practice on her violin :)

BTW, she's only a beginner, I can't play "Flight of the Bumblebee" on the bass or anything crazy like that :|

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='153114' date='Mar 7 2008, 02:58 PM']I find a long bath and a glass of wine helps. I then use some scented massage oil and music to set the mood. Remember to use plenty of lube, but make sure its water not oil based.

Let us all know how you get on.[/quote]
Any chance of an instructional video?