Why become a member? ×

If you had my pedals what would you do with them?

markyboy2106

Hello All

Before you say 'bin 'em' :) as an initial response to the thread hear me out...

My pedals are as follows:

Boss TU2 (Tuner)
Digitech Bass Synth Wah (Octaver)
Boomstick Bottom Feeder (Filter)
Sinister Analogue Flying Tomato (Fuzz)
MXR Bass DI (Preamp/OD)
BBE OptoStomp (Compressor)
Analogman Chorus (er..Chorus)
105q Bass Wah
There's the obligatory ODB3 hanging around somewhere as well

I would like to invest in a Blender and/or Switcher and/or Looper but don't really know much about them and how they work.

Therefore, I would like you to consider how you would add in a blender/switcher/looper in order that I can get the most out of these pedals

Many thanks

This order

Boss TU2 (Tuner) into
Digitech Bass Synth Wah (Octaver) into
SUBDECAY Flying Tomato (Fuzz) into
Boomstick Bottom Feeder (Filter) into
105q Bass Wah into
Analogman Chorus (er..Chorus) into
BBE OptoStomp (Compressor) into
MXR Bass DI (Preamp/OD)

You can put the tuner anywhere though

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='153811' date='Mar 9 2008, 08:56 AM']This order

Boss TU2 (Tuner) into
105q Bass Wah into
MXR Bass DI (Preamp/OD)

You can put the tuner anywhere though[/quote]

Thanks for your input Tayste, I was hoping a few pedal-heads would chip in

I was wondering whether you have placed the MXR Bass DI at the end because it is a DI. I tend not to use it as a DI I use it more as a booster/OD pedal as I have got a balanced DI out from my amp. If it wasn't a DI would you place it differently. I was just concerned that if the OD is at the end is there not the risk that you are 'driving' any/all of the pedals going into it and it getting a bit unwieldy.

I would swap the comp and OD at the end of tayste's list so that your playing dynamics will still effect the OD. A blender could be useful if you're missing some low end and/or punch. I like my barge concepts blender, but i'm sure they're all similar.

[quote name='markyboy2106' post='153852' date='Mar 9 2008, 11:27 AM']Thanks for your input Tayste, I was hoping a few pedal-heads would chip in

I was wondering whether you have placed the MXR Bass DI at the end because it is a DI. I tend not to use it as a DI I use it more as a booster/OD pedal as I have got a balanced DI out from my amp. If it wasn't a DI would you place it differently. I was just concerned that if the OD is at the end is there not the risk that you are 'driving' any/all of the pedals going into it and it getting a bit unwieldy.[/quote]

Yes I meant using it as an amp but the M-80 works well anywhere in the chain so I'd leave it at the end especially if you want to use it as a boost as there is a big difference in boosting after or before effect.

Or sell it me and buy a boost and distortion pedal :) and place the distortion at the beginning and the boost at the end.

I didn't realise you would place boost/OD at the end. I thought it was used to boost your bass's signal into other effects, but I guess it makes more sense to have it at the end as it is then boosting your affected sound.

I wonder whether someone could tell me the difference between a switcher and a looper...but also I had a look at the Red Onion Solutions website which seems to have a whole array of blend knobs etc as well. Do people find switches useful? Are there any recommended switching solutions you have found useful?

Cheers

There are different words for the same and different things, so this is a bit weird to talk about but....

You can use a loop/switcher to kick in or out several effects at a time. So, if you had a wah and a OD that you always used together, and quite often wanted the option of turning them both off at the same time, you would buy a loop.

I like to switch between two effects settings, each of which consist of 2-7 pedals, so I use an A/B loop switcher.

Basically, if you feel the need to do some switching you can't do at the moment with your feet, you will know exactly what kind of looper or switcher you need.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='155119' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:06 AM']There are different words for the same and different things, so this is a bit weird to talk about but....

You can use a loop/switcher to kick in or out several effects at a time. So, if you had a wah and a OD that you always used together, and quite often wanted the option of turning them both off at the same time, you would buy a loop.

I like to switch between two effects settings, each of which consist of 2-7 pedals, so I use an A/B loop switcher.

Basically, if you feel the need to do some switching you can't do at the moment with your feet, you will know exactly what kind of looper or switcher you need.[/quote]

Thanks for that

I think it is an A/B/Y switcher that I need, I'll have a look to see is that would be appropriate

[quote name='markyboy2106' post='155194' date='Mar 11 2008, 11:29 AM']How do you find the Opto Stomp? Have you any preferred settings?[/quote]
great simple compressor. Quite gentle. I have compression at about 12 o'clock and level at unity

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='tayste_2000']Boss TU2 (Tuner) into
105q Bass Wah into
MXR Bass DI (Preamp/OD)[/quote]

My line-up would look alot like tayste suggestion.

Might put the Fuzz or the ODB-3 in a blend loop if you want a little more low end.
Other thing I would try is to put the ODB-3 or Fuzz and the Boomstick Filter or Digitech BSW or the wah into a single loop for some phat tones, save a small bit of pedal dancing.

I bought a Napalm single channel loop off [b][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Napalm-Loop-True-Bypass-FX-Loop-for-boss-mxr-etc_W0QQitemZ260220925406QQihZ016QQcategoryZ22669QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem"]eBay [/b][/url] that is good, bit more expensive than I paid for mine though.

Cheers for that. These suggestions look really interesting. However, my problem lies in not really understanding the schematics (for want of a better word) of looping/switching on a pedalboard. If someone could post a photo of a board fully looped up or a diagram of how you add in A/B switches, blenders and the like into the mix that would be really helpful to me. I've checked on the post-your-pedalboard thread but its usually quite difficult to see the intricacy of the connections.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!!!
M