Why become a member? ×

more stingray recording

john_the_bass

morning all,
if you would be so kind to check out [url="http://www.myspace.com/27brigade"]www.myspace.com/27brigade[/url] and look for the track carillon park. it's a demo of one of our latest and some of the first work i've done with my stingray
we are into the studio next weekend to record this proper and i would welcome your hints/tips/advice.

Cheers

Hi there.

I'm a stingray player too - I've just posted a my first doodle to the forum below. It's a slap line with a stingray, It's nothing special but I'm kind of proud of it cos it's me playing at the top of my very limited game.

I'll trade you some comments later - I'm at work now and I can't listen to audio due to the internet restrictions here.

very best of luck with the recording next weekend

Joe

Hi again - as promised I've had a listen - sounds good to me.

It's not a type of music that I listen to a lot so I'm probably not the best person to comment but it sounds nice and tight and it got a big "that's good!" from my teenage daughter, probably the first positive noise I've heard from her this week :)

I think the P sounds nice and deep and you've got a good growl on it. do you use distortion or overdrive?

As for recording - I think it sounds great as a song and the playing seems spot on, so I can't think of any advice really. I'm sure some of the better players here will be able to give more useful feedback.

What do you think about it? are you happy with the Stingray? is it the sound you want?

Joe

Hi Joe, cheers for having a listen,

I've had to go back and have a look at our page to see what was on there!!
Love Twist The Gift, London Towers were recorded the MIJ Precision (before I got the US one) and the others were the demos recorded with the stingray.
for the fuzz bits, i use an ODB-3 which i'm happy with i guess but i hear occassionally that people are none too impressed with the sounds they produce - but i'm not much of a tech head and not really explored loads of pedals. i've got an ashdown abm head which produces a nice crunch if you drive it hard enough and that will get an outing at the weekend.
I ummed and ahhed a bit when i got the stingray. I'd been playing precisions for the best part of two years and i was quite surprised not only with the range of tones out of the ray, but how bright it could sound as well - i think i've got used to it and yeah, i think the right decision was to keep it. i think i really need to explore the different range of tones that it can produce and might take the opportunity to exploit the weekend in the studio.