Why become a member? ×

I wanna play bass pt2

Golchen

OK, so following on from my recent(ish) thread on ‘how do you play bass’ (which was populated with a lot of useful info – so thanks all!) my part two question is thus: What are some essential records to listen to for great bass playing that sounds excellent but really serves the songs well? I’ve always liked to hear great bass playing, but I’ve always gone for the OTT type players who overindulge in many ways. What records are there that are more ‘song-oriented’ but real sexy in the lower registers? I'm looking to raid iTunes for some SERIOUS listenin'

It depends on what styles your into. I tend to struggle learning music that I'm not a fan of, no matter how good the bass line.

Personally, I love the Stone Roses. Some great examples of songs that would be nothing without the bass line, without being self indulgent. Check out their first eponomously named album:

She Bangs the Drum
I am the Resurrection
I wanna be Adored
Waterfall

Also, even though he is an owl faced stoat, you can't go wrong with a lot of McCartney's work. Melodic genius. Just playing along with Lady Madonna, Come Together, Penny Lane, Revolution, you soon see how a simple line can drive a song.

If we're talking simply in terms of serving the song well without being complex...

With or Without You - U2
Town Called Malice - The Jam
Long Train Running - Doobie Brothers
Alright Now - Free
Upside Down - Diana Ross

None of these are particularly tricky in terms of notes or fancy runs but none of them work unless you nail the feel - be it the urgency of TCM; the slow-burning pounding of WOWY; the bounciness of Alright Now etc.

Personally, I think feel is the most overlooked aspect of bass playing. It's something that's hard to teach, tricky to explain and difficult to grasp but I think it's the thing that sets apart the great from the good and if you're transitioning from another instrument, techniques and scales and arpeggios will come fairly easily so focus on understanding feel and how the bass contributes to the groove and mood of songs.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='155115' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:00 AM']Alright Now - Free[/quote]
Which reminds me, that and "Honky Tonk Women" must be the two tracks that bassists listen to least before playing them - there's no bass in the verse of either, but how many bands actually play them like that?