Why become a member? ×

Multicores....I went and bought one

deksawyer

I'm looking at buying a 14/30m multicore for our bands live set up, but I'd like to hear opinions on the shortlist I've made.

Cost is a factor so have settled to buy from either The Loudest or Audiospares. The Loudest seem slightly more expensive, but the product looks better.

Any opinions on either of them? Do you have a friend who makes them??

Let me know.

D.

Edited by deksawyer

multicores need careful looking after as chasing a broken cable is both a pain and expensive so budget for a reel to store it.
Don't have an opinion on the ones you mentioned - have you priced making one yourself - if soldering is an issue, practice a bit and by the time you've finished the multicore, you'll be an expert!
max

y'gotta be careful on this one. A cheap multicore is possibly one of the biggest mistakes you can make, especially if its for a band setup and not an installation. The moment you start losing channels you'll be kicking yourself, because it's near impossible to locate and fix the problem. What about practising your soldering, buying a length of Sommer or Van Damme multi, and making your own?

+1 for making your own if you have the time (a lot of soldering!) and want to save some cash.

Be careful - I once had to make 3 x 32 way and in a rush wired the cable for pin 1 to pin3 and vice versa - result huge hum, some swearing and a lot more soldering.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let people know, I ordered a 16w/15m multicore from theloudest.com yesterday and it arrived today. Seems like a very well made piece of kit. I wanted the 30m version but they had no stock - I need it for this weekend.

I've very impressed by the quality of the product and the service from the loudest. They even sent me a set of adapters they usually sell for 40 odd quid!

some pics;

[attachment=847:01.jpg]
[attachment=848:02.jpg]
[attachment=849:03.jpg]
[attachment=850:04.jpg]
[attachment=851:05.jpg]

I don't know how exited you can get about a piece of kit like this, but it's nice to see a well made product at an affordable price.

D.