Why become a member? ×

Another "what order should I put 'em in?" thread

Rich

I’m thinking about trying stomp FX again, & this time making up a proper pedal board. Not a massive one, just a few choice things that I’ve either got already or want to get. And yes, it’s the old “what order d’you reckon I should put ‘em in” chestnut.
I’m thinking in terms of:

[font="Courier New"]BASS -----> Deep Impact -> overdrive -> chorus -> phaser -> volume pedal -> Headrush ----*---> AMP
tuner_| \____________________________________[u][i]loop[/i][/u]_______________/_\___________________/[/font]

The tuner will be permanently on & sitting in its own little side-chain.
I've got an octaver, but the Deep Impact has a great octave patch so I'll use that rather than clutter things up with another pedal.
The line selector-style loop switcher I’m going to make will allow me to bypass everything except the volume pedal (some sneaky wiring needed for that!). I was thinking of putting a mute switch at the point marked '*', but I'm not sure I'll need it.

So... Have I got it hopelessly wrong? Does it make sense?

Why do you want the volume pedal in the middle? Surely you would get the same effect with it at the start negating the need for any clever wiring?

I would want OD just before delay, but you have no other dirt to go before your modulation, so if you like it there fair enough.

Apart from that it looks sensible etc... I'd love to play with that board, although I would miss another distortion or two!

That setup seems eminently sensible, Rich. The only thing you may want to watch is that volume pedals are known for their capacity to leech treble, and cause impedance issues after their own place in the chain. Your own ears are really the best judge.

Joe.

[quote name='Toasted' post='155801' date='Mar 12 2008, 10:06 AM']That setup seems eminently sensible, Rich. The only thing you may want to watch is that volume pedals are known for their capacity to leech treble, and cause impedance issues after their own place in the chain. Your own ears are really the best judge.

Joe.[/quote]

Whilst its cheap, I usually have to take my bespeco out of my chain.

[quote name='Toasted' post='155801' date='Mar 12 2008, 10:06 AM']That setup seems eminently sensible, Rich. The only thing you may want to watch is that volume pedals are known for their capacity to leech treble, and cause impedance issues after their own place in the chain. Your own ears are really the best judge.

Joe.[/quote]

Is this why he has placed it in the middle of the chain?

Can someone explain why you would have the volume pedal there?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='155852' date='Mar 12 2008, 11:14 AM']Can someone explain why you would have the volume pedal there?[/quote]
Yes, if you put it at the start then you are changing the signal level going into the front end of the effects chain. If there's any noise in the chain (and there will be), then that will remain constant while the volume goes up and down. Also, distortion pedals will drop out of their distortion zones if you drop the input signal too far. With the volume pedal at the end, signal to noise ratio remains constant and the front end of the effects chain is getting a consistent signal level.

Guys, many thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. :huh:

Blimey, looks like I'm getting a fringe benefit from putting the volume pedal there! ;)
Actually, my original thinking was that if I use the looping thingy on the Headrush, I'll be able to vary the level of the various things I add to the loop whilst retaining the overall looper output at a constant level. I suppose I could have attained this by putting the volume pedal first, BUT I wanted the Deep Impact in particular to get a good high-level uncoloured input as this is how they seem to work best.
My volume pedal is a stereo Boss one, so the sneaky wiring I referred to isn't actually all that sneaky really..!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='155754' date='Mar 12 2008, 09:08 AM']I would want OD just before delay, but you have no other dirt to go before your modulation, so if you like it there fair enough.[/quote]Yes, I'd been thinking about that. I couldn't decide whether to overdrive the chorused/phased sound, or to chorus/phase the overdriven sound! :) Is there any conventional wisdom on this, or is it personal taste?

[quote name='Rich' post='157197' date='Mar 14 2008, 08:58 AM']I couldn't decide whether to overdrive the chorused/phased sound, or to chorus/phase the overdriven sound! :) Is there any conventional wisdom on this, or is it personal taste?[/quote]
Conventional wisdom is distortion, chorus/flange/phase, reverb/delay. I think that logically if you're using delay and reverb, you'd put the reverb last.