Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Players of the Eighties...!

Stuart Clayton

Hi all,

While not wishing to copy another thread, I thought I'd ask for some input on an article I'm writing. Basically, I'd be interested to hear about who you consider to be the top 10 bassists of the eighties, the top ten best eighties basslines, top ten best albums (for bass players), best (or most innovative equipment) etc. Just something I'm toying with writing.

Thanks!
Stu

Well I know it doesn't have much "cred" but I always though the bass line in "Too Shy" by Kajagoogoo (such a wonderful band name) was very interesting. Was it Nick Beggs who played that ?

Firstly, it's a pure pre-teen pop song so there was no expectation (or even need) for a interesting bass line.

Secondly, it really brought the song to life and was instantly recognisable - there's not many songs that a layperson can recognise from the bass part alone.

Thirdly, it's a real "eighties" line with all the features of the time - bright sound, bit of slapping here and there.

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='155600' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:07 PM']Hi all,

While not wishing to copy another thread, I thought I'd ask for some input on an article I'm writing. Basically, I'd be interested to hear about who you consider to be the top 10 bassists of the eighties, the top ten best eighties basslines, top ten best albums (for bass players), best (or most innovative equipment) etc. Just something I'm toying with writing.

Thanks!
Stu[/quote]
Pino Palladino and I'm gonna tear your playhouse down.

Bassists:
Mick Karn - Japan
Peter Hook - Joy Division/New Order
Jeremy Kerr - ACR
Kevin Bacon - Comsat Angels
Alan Turton - Medium Medium

Great 80s Bass Lines:
"Mind Your Own Business" Delta 5
"Waterfront" Simple Minds
"Dead Souls" by Joy Division
"Shaken" by None So Blind
and Anything from "Quiet Life" or "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" by Japan

80s bass players whose work I like:

John Taylor
Pino Palladino (again)
The guy from 'Talk Talk' (sorry, still don't know his name)
Graham Maby
Deon Esteus (possibly not correct spelling)
Bruce Thomas
The guy who played for Paul King, the Beat (David Steele), the Blow Monkeys (sorry, no names again)...
...in the main. Though I'd even admit to liking a couple of simply Red's basslines. Keep it quiet though, yeah?

Chic must have just about crept into the 80's?
Otherwise, I can't help feeling that most of the good guys were resting during the decade in question. Too many producers using too many synths for my liking, some great bass lines certainly, but mostly not played by bassists :) .
Chris

[quote name='tempo' post='155675' date='Mar 12 2008, 12:31 AM']Rio/Save a Prayer - Duran Duran

Anything by Level42

Anything from 'Moving Pictures' through to 'Roll The Bones' by Rush

And many others, available on an 80's compilation near you. :)[/quote]

Roll the Bones was great but was 90's....

[quote name='BOD2' post='155607' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:22 PM']Well I know it doesn't have much "cred" but I always though the bass line in "Too Shy" by Kajagoogoo (such a wonderful band name) was very interesting. Was it Nick Beggs who played that ?

Firstly, it's a pure pre-teen pop song so there was no expectation (or even need) for a interesting bass line.

Secondly, it really brought the song to life and was instantly recognisable - there's not many songs that a layperson can recognise from the bass part alone.

Thirdly, it's a real "eighties" line with all the features of the time - bright sound, bit of slapping here and there.[/quote]

Yeap, was Nick Beggs.

Song in question, although via youtube, which isn't bass friendly: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P6I4pT_tVA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P6I4pT_tVA[/url]

Love it :)

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='155667' date='Mar 12 2008, 12:00 AM']The guy from 'Talk Talk' (sorry, still don't know his name)[/quote]
'tis Paul Webb ye're thinking of * I agree. Also:
Tony Butler (Big Country)
Robbie Shakespeare (Sly & Robbie, UB40 & more)
Cliff Burton (Metallica)
Mark King (L42)
Pete Trewavas (Marillion)
Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads)
Geddy Lee (Rush) - from [i]Moving Pictures[/i] to [i]Presto[/i] is all 80s

edit: Mark "Bedders" Bedford (Madness) should be here too
+ I meant to list Scott Thunes, who was with Zappa in the 80s - though Patrick O'Hearn was still a monster in the 70s.

lastly, my Enthusiasm Award goes to ... Andy McCluskey (OMD) :)

PS: on the bass-related Equipment side, I think of:
Fairlight CMI, for solid bass sampling & sequencing (ask Frankie & the Art of Noise);
the rise of the 5-string bass;
and, of course: Steinberger.

Edited by bnt

[quote name='bassmandan' post='155697' date='Mar 12 2008, 01:34 AM']Ewan Vernal - Deacon Blue[/quote]
Was he the guy that played on their (90s) single 'Your Town'? I quite liked that song and bassline. The first CD I bought!

Edit Time: I can't believe we havn't mentioned Tony Levin yet! Sledgehammer anyone?

Edited by Hit&Run

[quote name='jakesbass' post='155687' date='Mar 12 2008, 01:04 AM']Marcus Miller should surely be considered to be an eighties man to start with. I do believe he was with Miles Davis from '81 although he had already racked up an impressive NY session CV. His work with Sanborn and Luther Vandross was mostly through the 80s[/quote]
+1 - Luther Vandross was a major star of the 80's.

Stuart Morrow (New Model Army)
Chris Thompson (Screaming Blue Messiahs)
Greg Norton (Husker Du)
Paul Raven (KIlling Joke)
Stan Stammers(Theatre of Hate/Spear of Destiny)
Les Pattinson (Echo and the Bunnymen-met him backstage at York festival-nice chap!)

Edited by Deep Thought

[quote]Happy Mondays[/quote]

That'll have been Paul Ryder.

+1 for Mani, I still love playing his lines - really annoyed the rest of my band last night by breaking into "the bit" from I am the Resurrection at every available opportunity!

Two that I don't think have been mentioned -

Bruce Foxton
Duff McCagan

On upright - Terry Lilley