Why become a member? ×

Unsung Four-string Hero of Folk Rock - have a listen!

wateroftyne

Hi all

The other thread going on about favourite bassists of the 70s made me realise that one of my favourites is virtually unknown. He's Phil Murray from 70's folk-rockers Jack the Lad.

[url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/stuff/oakeyreel.mp3"]...and this is a clip of one of his finest moments.[/url]

Enjoy the folk-rock goodness!

Edited by wateroftyne

Acidbass - your Horslips band sounds great. The music is bang on and the singing isn't far off either.

I see ye've played McHughs - check these out:

We're doing Dearg Doom for a gig this Sunday in Skerries (Paddy's Day effort). Well, we're opening an Irish medley with it and slipping into Whisky in The Jar, Dirty Old Town (Brush Shiels style), then The Irish Rover and coming back into Dearg Doom.

We used to do Trouble in another band, but it just doesn't sound the same with two guitars and no flute.

Any gigs in the south coming up?

That Jack The Lad clip is great.

Try this too for a sort of prog-folk sound:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGFvJLBjhxI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGFvJLBjhxI[/url]

Mark

Edited by Phaedrus

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='155785' date='Mar 12 2008, 09:47 AM']Any gigs in the south coming up?[/quote]

Yeah, I think we have one at the next leg of the Horslips Exhibition but I'm not sure where it is - somewhere in Meath perhaps? I'll let you know and if you're free it'd be great if you could drop in for a while!

Thanks for your kind words on my band too!

Cheers mate! :)

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='155785' date='Mar 12 2008, 09:47 AM']Try this too for a sort of prog-folk sound:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGFvJLBjhxI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGFvJLBjhxI[/url]

Mark[/quote]

Oh haven't seen that before .. That's from the time when the BBC orchestra played on the TOTP backing tracks. That's why it sounds so different to the record. ..
Annie Haslaaaam got me all hot 'n' bothered back then as did the Chris Squire tribute bass line .. Thanks for the memory :)
Funny watching the drummer trying to get the fill right as he comes back in at the end :huh:

Back to Jack the lad - that's great any CD's around?
We have a gig tomorrow (my Ceilidh Barn Dance band) and when it was booked it wasn't St Pats night now it is! Oh dear, we are certainly not Irish in any way .. I hope the punters don't expect the Pogues ....

[quote name='OldGit' post='157472' date='Mar 14 2008, 03:08 PM']We have a gig tomorrow (my Ceilidh Barn Dance band) and when it was booked it wasn't St Pats night now it is![/quote]
Eh? You must be living in a time-warp OldGit, Paddies night is very definitely Monday 17th .

[quote name='OldGit' post='157472' date='Mar 14 2008, 03:08 PM']Back to Jack the lad - that's great any CD's around?[/quote]

Yep.. there's three out there, and they're all great! They were just remastered and reissued recently-ish.

[quote name='OldGit' post='157472' date='Mar 14 2008, 03:08 PM']We have a gig tomorrow (my Ceilidh Barn Dance band) and when it was booked it wasn't St Pats night now it is! Oh dear, we are certainly not Irish in any way .. I hope the punters don't expect the Pogues ....[/quote]

My 'other' band have a gig on St. Pat's, so I'm in the middle of learning a million twiddly-dee Irish tunes. It's very... challenging!

Twiddleedee diddle diddle dum twiddly...

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='157486' date='Mar 14 2008, 03:16 PM']St Patrick's Day 2008 is indeed on Saturday 15th March.

[url="http://www.kandle.ie/content/view/707/152/"]http://www.kandle.ie/content/view/707/152/[/url]

Mark[/quote]

That seems to say it's tomorrow AND Monday.

I say declare it Paddy's Weekend (+1), save any confusion.

[quote name='bremen' post='157506' date='Mar 14 2008, 03:44 PM']That seems to say it's tomorrow AND Monday.

I say declare it Paddy's Weekend (+1), save any confusion.[/quote]

Some guy in Italy says you can't go getting ratted on St Pat's behalf during Holy Week so you have to do it on Saturday if you're on his team and both if you arn't ..

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='157478' date='Mar 14 2008, 03:11 PM']Yep.. there's three out there, and they're all great! They were just remastered and reissued recently-ish.

My 'other' band have a gig on St. Pat's, so I'm in the middle of learning a million twiddly-dee Irish tunes. It's very... challenging!

Twiddleedee diddle diddle dum twiddly...[/quote]

We get asked to play St Paddies, and Burns and St Andrews and, amazingly, St George's day events every year - the St Georges is a new one. The organiser had no idea what constituted music for an English night. Any ideas?

People only get as far as "Ceilidh" on our website and assume we are celts and just like the Pogues or some other outfit they once saw somewhere in an Irish pub or barn dance. We are actuall an "Englsh Ceilidh Band" - thats a category defined by WebFeet - basically a rock band with a diddly front line - ours is a squeezebox.

We actually did a Burns night one year - we told them we were not traditional - "no problems", said the organiser, "we want something different this year." They may have but their fee paying guests didn't. At half time 20 people ceremoniously left with a flurish of their kilts shooting us "You are n'ae Burrrrns night band" looks ... Learned that lesson :)

Well I'm blowed! It really has been moved. My humble apologies.

[quote name='OldGit' post='157588' date='Mar 14 2008, 05:03 PM']We get asked to play St Paddies, and Burns and St Andrews and, amazingly, St George's day events every year - the St Georges is a new one. The organiser had no idea what constituted music for an English night. Any ideas?[/quote]

You've got two choices: either last -night-of-the-proms or play some English music - Bellowhead, Oysterband, Tiger Moth,Albions, Committee Band, Whapweasel for starters.
I know what you mean though. I spent quite a long time trying to convince a bemused Jamaican that Bellowhead weren't Irish traditional music.

[quote]We actually did a Burns night one year - we told them we were not traditional - "no problems", said the organiser, "we want something different this year." They may have but their fee paying guests didn't. At half time 20 people ceremoniously left with a flurish of their kilts shooting us "You are n'ae Burrrrns night band" looks ... Learned that lesson :)[/quote]

That must have been the Serious Burns unit.

[quote name='pete.young' post='157597' date='Mar 14 2008, 05:20 PM']Well I'm blowed! It really has been moved. My humble apologies.[/quote]

It's been all over the radio this week with a kind of "don't be daft" feel to it ...

[quote]You've got two choices: either last -night-of-the-proms or play some English music - Bellowhead, Oysterband, Tiger Moth,Albions, Committee Band, Whapweasel for starters.
I know what you mean though. I spent quite a long time trying to convince a bemused Jamaican that Bellowhead weren't Irish traditional music.[/quote]

Ha ha yeah well at least your friend wasn't from England .. mos of teh people I run into have no idea about folk or its noisier relatives. I play Bellowhead at anyone who will listen and thank gawd for Kate Rusby and the youngsters who are getting some English tradition style music into the common conciousness.

Elgar goes diddly eh? Now there's an idea. I slip a bit of Prokofiev in now and then and some Paganini.. No one notices but it gives me a warm feeling :)

[quote]That must have been the Serious Burns unit.[/quote]

Ha ha yah we told that joke .. maybe that was it ...

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='157614' date='Mar 14 2008, 05:43 PM']glad i clicked on here....

that playing was some of the best quality i have ever heard....

i'd like to buy the CD if any one can give any inkling of where to buy one i would be most grateful....

wouldn't mind meeting the guy and shaking his hand..... pure brilliance.

:)[/quote]

Here you are...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jack-The-Lad-The-Old-Straight-Track-NEW-CD_W0QQitemZ230231707764QQihZ013QQcategoryZ1049QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]The classic JTL album... although they're all great![/url]

[quote name='OldGit' post='157615' date='Mar 14 2008, 05:43 PM']Elgar goes diddly eh? Now there's an idea.[/quote]

I think you should be able to get through the Henry Wood medley of British Sea Songs.

Funny how much stuff has been shamelessly nicked from the tradition by the classical brigade. Our MD was very surprised indeed to find out that the opening part of "Second Suite in F" by Gustav Holst was Glorishears from the village of Bampton.

[quote name='bassninja' post='157639' date='Mar 14 2008, 06:34 PM']Cool.

Playing in a Butlin's Irish bar tomorrow night with a bit of fiddly-diddly.

How about Dave Pegg on Fairport's Dirty Linen as another prime exponent?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1gopdN3yTI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1gopdN3yTI[/url][/quote]

Great stuff - folk on two strats and a Precision.. :) It's nice to see Dave Swarbrick's not only still alive but touring ...

There's a brilliant slapin' funk bass version of Blackleg Miner on the Steeleye Span album "Present". Rick kemp on his custom Overwater.
I'd love to play that but I doubt it would suit the weddings we play :huh:

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='157619' date='Mar 14 2008, 05:52 PM']Here you are...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jack-The-Lad-The-Old-Straight-Track-NEW-CD_W0QQitemZ230231707764QQihZ013QQcategoryZ1049QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]The classic JTL album... although they're all great![/url][/quote]

Excellent, thanks ordered that :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='157574' date='Mar 14 2008, 04:48 PM']Some guy in Italy says you can't go getting ratted on St Pat's behalf during Holy Week so you have to do it on Saturday if you're on his team and both if you arn't ..[/quote]
Perhaps it's just as well my gran is no longer extant, she used to send over shamrock for St Patrick's each year and that would have had her in a quandary.

Although, thinking about it, a staunch Calvinist like her would have taken no notice whatsoever of the pronouncements of idolators... :)