Why become a member? ×

Stu Hamm Bass Course

terryblyth

Hey guys,

I posted this on BW/BT, but thought it bore repeating on here!

Stu Hamm is coming over to the UK to offer two weeks of bass tuition over the summer (one in Newcastle, one in Bath). This would be a fantastic opportunity to study up close and personal (the class sizes would be very small) with an enormously talented player. I believe the take-up has been fairly slow so I'd get in there pretty quick - it's not often opportunities like that come around!

Details are at [url="http://www.igf.org.uk"]www.igf.org.uk[/url] and while I'm plugging things, Paul Francis (Gallileo, JTQ) will be doing a funk course and I'll be doing a 'Bassics' course.

I don't know how the Newcastle one will work, but traditionally in Bath it's a great chance to totally immerse yourself in all things music. Concurrently there's several guitar courses and drum courses, so as well as the classes there's loads of opportunities to play at the nightly jam nights and there's normally some great artists putting on gigs during the period.

If anybody has any questions, feel free to PM me or ask on here - it'd be a great shame to have somebody like Stu come over and not be taken full advantage of! (as it were)

Wow, that sounds great. I wouldn't be able to do it for travel but I highly recommend it to anyone who can.

Any media of Stu I've found online or through P2P has been a gross injustice to the man, he blew me away when I saw him live. He's really funny and friendly as well.

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='15788' date='Jun 11 2007, 06:18 PM']Hi Terry,
I think I asked about this last time you posted, but everything (for Newcastle) seems aimed at age 11-18yrs. What is there for us older folk (if anything?).[/quote]

As far as I know, there's plenty for the over 18s! As I said, Newcastle is a new event, but going by Bath the majority of people are actually over 25. Whilst the classes are mixed age, we've certainly had no trouble combining the two and they're certainly geared towards a more 'mature' age! The nightly jams finish early for the under-18s, and there's a bar all night for everybody that's old enough to drink.

I'd recommend contacting Phil Castang or Emmanuelle Ginn (details on [url="http://www.igf.org.uk"]www.igf.org.uk[/url]) if you have any particular concerns about that. Last year I distinctly remember having dentists, gardeners etc on the course.

Specifically, I'd say that it's a great chance to make some new friends, talk about and play music all day and night, and all in a great social atmosphere. It's very informal too, so hasn't got the whole 'school' vibe about it.

From the FAQ (http://www.igf.org.uk/workshops/nr.htm):

Q: Who comes to learn at IGF?
School children, teenagers and adults. All professions and occupations. EVERYONE is welcome. At IGF we are all just guitarists or drummers or singers or whatever! (please note the Northern Rock Summer School at the Sage Gateshead is for under18s only)

Ahhh, you got me - I just work here... :)

In that case it's unlikely there will be much in Newcastle for 18+, but it may still be worth giving Phil Castang a call to make sure - if there's only a small uptake then you may find they'll throw it open to all ages.