Why become a member? ×

Kent Armstrong

BottomE

Took a flyer on Ebay with some Kent Armstrong Jazz pickups. Put in a low bid, went out for the day and was surprised to see i'd won them for very little. Anyway, i took some photos and emailed the Kent Armstrong website hoping against hope that someone might help me identify them.

Got an email last night from the man himself not only telling me what they are and also what to expect tone-wise. And can you believe he also told me who made them!

What a star. Just saying.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1358611' date='Sep 1 2011, 11:30 AM']Isn't Kent Armstrong the alter ego of Superspiderbatman?[/quote]

I was thinking more a mix of Clark Kent and Stretch Armstrong (the rubbery 70s super hero toy). What a guy though. In this day and age he gets a lot of Kudos for taking a bit of time to help someone out.

Kent is a great guy! His son Aaron deals with most of the pickup stuff these days as far as I'm aware.

Also, Kent's dad was thr famous Dan Armstrong - the bloke responsible for the classic "plug in" guitar effects, and the plexiglass guitars and basses.

Oh yeah, forgot to add my recommendation to the pickups themselves, really great items

I've got a Kent Armstong rebuilt pickup in my Ripper and was trying to get some information as I thought it was wired wrong. Emailed from the KA website, got immediate reply from Kent, saying he'd forward to question to his son, who built the pickup. Got nothing back, tried again, politely, still nothing. Must be doing something wrong.

The pickup was wired wrong. In the end I just took a very deep breath and rewired it the way I thought it should be. What could go wrong? Luckily, nothing.

• 6 years later...