Why become a member? ×

Gigs you look forward to, and gigs you dread

bassninja

Over the years, there have been some gigs/venues that I really look forward to, only for them to turn out to be a bit (or a lot) crap on the night. Similarly, there are gigs I approach with a certain dread, only for them to turn out really well. I try not to think about it too much these days.

Is it just me, or does anyone else recognise this reverse-type ar$e-about-faceness?

I've had a bit of that in the past. I've always pit it down to expectations. If you expect a gig to be good then you can only be disappointed of it isn't fantastic. Whereas when you expect the gig to be crap then it doesn't have to be that good and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

What has perpelxed me more is how the members of your band can perceive gigs totally differently to you. Gigs that I've thought have been great have been rated as "average" by others in the band and vice versa. Wierd.

Yes... I've had a few gigs that didn't turn out the way I thought. This one gig, the rest of the guys were backed up in heavy traffic and were 30 minutes late. Since we were bringing the drums kit down... the soundguy wasn't too impressed, which of course is fair enough. However, he seemed to be severely hungover (a bit of substance abuse maybe?), laid down flat on the stage and was in a foul mood. So the rest of the guys turn up, and were extremely apologetic. The guy asks where our amps were. At the time we preferred to use Line 6 amp simulation. A snide comment ensued, "Can't even afford proper amps!". Things weren't looking up at all.

We did our soundcheck with a few more tuts and sighs from the soundguy. Then it turns out he's also the promoter! "That's it..." I thought, "we'll never play here again". We went out for a quick meal before the bands started and were absolutely dreading the gig.

Then we got on stage. I have to say, whatever the guy was on didn't matter. The onstage sound was fantastic, and apparently out front was just as good. The place wasn't packed out, but the audience seemed to geniunely enjoy the set and we managed to get some atomosphere going. We even managed to get quite a few of them up and dancing!

After the night, the soundguy/promoter came up the our bandleader with our bit of money and said "next time... don't be late". Had some great gigs at that venue after that, so really thankful we weren't blacklisted!

Edited by s_u_y_*

I completely understand what you mean!

I've just started playing some sessions for this new singer-songwriter playing toilet venues with a load of young guys (well, I'm only 26 and they're about 23, but you know what I mean!) and I wasn't looking forward to the hand-to-mouth existence - I'm used to a bit more class with the other stuff I do.

Have to say though, it has been fantastic, really, really great fun and the gigs - wherever they've been, however poorly attended and however sh*tty the venues have been great to do!