Why become a member? ×

Peach Guitars.

gary mac

I had a trip over to Peach Guitars in Braintree on Saturday.

What a pleasant experience. It made such a change to deal with friendly, helpful staff. They were attentive but did not pressurise me and they gave me a good deal on my purchases.

Recent guitar shop experiences have been a bit depressing. Staff that grunt a hello at best, or at the worst ignore me and carry on chatting to their crowd of cronies. :)

My wife treated me as a 50th birthday pressie, to a Squier Modded Jazz and my daughter a padded gig bag.

Over the past few weeks I have tried a couple of these basses and couldn't understand what all the praise was about, as they were not very playable and the setups awful. The one that Peach had was a different beast altogether, nicely set up and no protruding screws on the bridge.

I made the mistake of trying it through a mark bass combo, so now I'm gassing for one of those as well.

I know that a few of you have fitted Baddass bridges. Interested to know if this is a worthwhile mod and worth the expense?

Anyway, I can thoroughly recommend Peach Guitars, not a huge bass range, but the ones I tried were all nicely set up.

All the best, Gary.

Whatcha mean, been sent to Coventry, nothing wrong with Coventry these days barring the horrendous pigeon sh*t everywhere.

As for the badass II on the VMJ, I like the chunkier bridge for the weight at the back, but I'm not commenting on sound as I stuck flats on it the moment I changed it.

[quote name='gary mac' post='158806' date='Mar 17 2008, 10:08 AM']I know that a few of you have fitted Baddass bridges. Interested to know if this is a worthwhile mod and worth the expense?[/quote]
I but a badass II on my VMJ and I noticed a faster attack and a more 'zingy' kind of sound.
I expected it to sound largely the same as before the mod, with maybe a slight difference. I was startled at the difference.

I'm interested in this mod and any others you care to suggest too , I'm loving my VM jazz ^_^

Can anyone tell me if there is a bit of hum generated when you turn down the volume of either pick up ?

Mines does this and as I'm new to bass I wasn't sure is it's a characteristic (Stratocasters have a tendancy to do the same) or if my pickups are borked !

Cheers

[quote name='sticker' post='160045' date='Mar 19 2008, 05:24 AM']I'm interested in this mod and any others you care to suggest too , I'm loving my VM jazz ^_^

Can anyone tell me if there is a bit of hum generated when you turn down the volume of either pick up ?

Mines does this and as I'm new to bass I wasn't sure is it's a characteristic (Stratocasters have a tendancy to do the same) or if my pickups are borked !

Cheers[/quote]

It's quite a standard problem on basses with single coil pickups. One good way of reducing the hum is to line the control cavity,pickup cavities and the rear of the scratchplate and controlplate with copper shielding foil. It's an easy enough process and is fun in a Blue Peter 'you can do this at home' kind of way. You can buy rolls of tape from ebay or [url="http://www.axesrus.com"]AxesRUs[/url]. Another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of mass produced basses, from the cheapest Fender copy to even supposed high end US bass can have very poor wiring and it's worth having a look under the controlplate to see if this can be tidied up. Even if you're no good with a soldering iron, it's worth seeing if a local music or electrical shop is able to re-wire it for you using shorter,better shielded wiring. It can make a huge difference.