Why become a member? ×

Hayman 4040 bass value?

Hiperi0n

Hello guys...has been offered me a Hayman 40/40 all original , natural ,quite good condition , seems those basses are extremely rare...do you know how much it can worth nowadays? obviously i'm asking an approx value...i have to get it without try and never tried a bass like that..so just in case i don't have the right feeling with it and will want to re sell it i can need that info....thanx

Edited by Hiperi0n

[attachment=6560:DSCN0339.JPG][quote name='Hiperi0n' post='159053' date='Mar 17 2008, 05:28 PM']Hello guys...has been offered me a Hayman 40/40 all original , natural ,quite good condition , seems those basses are extremely rare...do you know how much it can worth nowadays? obviously i'm asking an approx value...i have to get it without try and never tried a bass like that..so just in case i don't have the right feeling with it and will want to re sell it i can need that info....thanx[/quote]
Hi-that's very interesting, as I sold one of those about two weeks ago to a guy in Essex. I'd picked it up for a tenner from someone who was going to throw it out (!). I didn't know what I'd bought, really, other than it looked, well, [i][/i]different,[i][/i]. Anyway, I took it to my local guitar tech, Mick Johnson in Reading, who enthused about it, told me all about its history (check out the Shergold guitars website), set it up for me, and I then played it non-stop at my band's gigs for a year or so. It's a great guitar, easy to play, has a powerful sound, and suited me down to the ground. Unfortunately, financial constraints meant I had to get rid of it, so sold it, no questions asked, for my asking price of £200. With hindsight I could have got at least £100 more, but needed the cash. A guy called Paul Spracklin bought it; he was very keen to get hold of it, and drove from Southend to S. Oxon to pick it up. so either he's selling it on, or at least you have an idea about its value. Mine certainly showed its age, but played wonderfully well. I think that if you go to www.bignedlasagne.com and visit the band's old website, you can see photos of me playing it.
Hope all this helps; I'd certainly like to know if it's my old guitar you've been offered!
Kevin Laughton.[attachment=6560:DSCN0339.JPG]

you sold it for 200£ without informing before on the value of the bass?
for sure it's not the same bass because the one has been offered to me it's in italy....

anyway there's a guy in Usa that on the forum talkbass.com is asking actually 1900$ or something near that value...i dunno if you sold your probably for too less..or maybe he's asking way too much

that's the link to his thread :

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5455525"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5455525[/url]

Edited by Hiperi0n

If it's the one for sale on TB then it's seriously overpriced for the UK/European market by about 100%!

If I was living in the US and desperately wanted one of these and didn't want the hassle of importing one then it might just be worth it. Otherwise not a chance.

IMO one in excellent condition shouldn't be more than £500 absolute tops.

Does that help

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Hiperi0n' post='159109' date='Mar 17 2008, 07:06 PM']you sold it for 200£ without informing before on the value of the bass?
for sure it's not the same bass because the one has been offered to me it's in italy....

anyway there's a guy in Usa that on the forum talkbass.com is asking actually 1900$ or something near that value...i dunno if you sold your probably for too less..or maybe he's asking way too much

that's the link to his thread :

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5455525"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5455525[/url][/quote]
You don't know how seriously I needed the money! I still reckon that a 40/40 in reasonable, playable condition shouldn't cost much more than c£300.

i've seen your pictures on the website..for sure it's a nice looking bass....
can you tell me more about the sound of that bass?

the body shape is very Walish..especially similar to first Wal pro models...and i love Wals :)

Edited by Hiperi0n

There are definately better Shergold experts on here (Shergoldsnickers comes to mind) But I have just worked on and set up a 12 string that my guitarist bought from, the guy that bought it from Mr Houlder (ordered in 1976) and has had it since.....

Anyhoo he paid £325 for it and I expected a wonderful piece of kit by the way Neale was going on about it.... I have to say I was massively underwhelmed by it.....

In their day they were among the very few 'custom makers" but its design is very dated now, it is an unusual beast with a long scale but although 'challenging to play" it sounds pretty good. I've only seen Neale play it once since I set it up!

Quality wise they can be quite varied, although well built I feel they dont age well.... But i do have to say they can be bought for very little money compared to other makes of teh same age.

I had a look at a bass (Marathon) and didnt like it..... but then I do have quite limited and pigeonholed tastes....!

I have no idea if thats any help, but it my experience of them.

BTW if you havent checked it out yet .......

[url="http://www.shergold.co.uk/index.html"]http://www.shergold.co.uk/index.html[/url]

My first proper bass was a Hayman 40/40. Hayman went out of business and the Fender Soundhouse had a fire at about the same time, so they flogged off all the Hayman bits that were knocking round in the Soundhouse in a fire sale. I was going to make a twin-neck but didn't get the right parts so finished up with the 40/40. I hadn't played many basses then and the 40/40 seemed good to me. I eventually chopped it in for a Precision - I'm not really sure about the relative levels of playability or sound, it's all a long time ago. A few other bassists did have a play on it, though, and they were all very enthusiastic about it.

I shan't go putting a value on it, I'm not very good on bass prices...

• 8 months later...

Thought I saw my name being mentioned here ... Hi Kevin.

Yes, I bought the bass and travelled a long way to pick it up because I REALLY wanted it, and for the money considered it to be a steal. Which it was. I fell head over heels for it - a thing of beauty.

[attachment=17198:4040a.jpg]

[attachment=17199:4040b.jpg]

Having lived with it for a while, I still love it to bits. It is a piece of British craftsmanship at it's best - superb build quality instrument that has spolit me getting cheap basses forever.

But... it weighs as much as a bus. The neck is almost as wide as a bus. The bridge is a little flakey - the perspex is starting to crack at the thinnest point where the end of the strings are held and it is going to be difficult to source an original to replace it. The sounds are always going to be very subjective - to my ears it seems very limited in the tones available.

I will keep it and love it forever, occasionally producing it with a flourish to the astonishment of other musicians ('what the f*ck is that?') but will no longer use it as my #1 bass as it is too precious - at least until I can get something sorted with the bridge - and, frankly, harder to play - I feel much more comfortable with the slimmer Jazz style neck.

There is a guy on the Shergold discussion forum who is in the middle of constructing a Shergold double neck from scratch - he is going to have a go a casting a new perspex but for his and, if it works, do one for me too.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' post='354207' date='Dec 14 2008, 01:26 PM']Thought I saw my name being mentioned here ... Hi Kevin.

Yes, I bought the bass and travelled a long way to pick it up because I REALLY wanted it, and for the money considered it to be a steal. Which it was. I fell head over heels for it - a thing of beauty.

Having lived with it for a while, I still love it to bits. It is a piece of British craftsmanship at it's best - superb build quality instrument that has spolit me getting cheap basses forever.

But... it weighs as much as a bus. The neck is almost as wide as a bus. The bridge is a little flakey - the perspex is starting to crack at the thinnest point where the end of the strings are held and it is going to be difficult to source an original to replace it. The sounds are always going to be very subjective - to my ears it seems very limited in the tones available.

I will keep it and love it forever, occasionally producing it with a flourish to the astonishment of other musicians ('what the f*ck is that?') but will no longer use it as my #1 bass as it is too precious - at least until I can get something sorted with the bridge - and, frankly, harder to play - I feel much more comfortable with the slimmer Jazz style neck.

There is a guy on the Shergold discussion forum who is in the middle of constructing a Shergold double neck from scratch - he is going to have a go a casting a new perspex but for his and, if it works, do one for me too.[/quote]
Fantastic bass - always wanted to own but never have!

It's body shape is very like the old Wal Pro models which I have always loved and owned and they're very similar basses in some ways, both being particularly fine examples of that unique British craftsmanship you mention...

this one on eBay is £165 with 3 hours to go

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Hayman-40-40-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ180312903689QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item180312903689&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Hayman-40-4...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

Nostalgia. I used to pick them off the wall to try upstairs at Rumbelows in Friar Street, Reading, in the 70s. They were considered to be in the prestige/price bracket of being between a Columbus/Antoria copy and a Fender. I also recall those wierd Gibsons with a sliding pick up.

[quote name='Paul S' post='354207' date='Dec 14 2008, 06:26 AM']Thought I saw my name being mentioned here ... Hi Kevin.

There is a guy on the Shergold discussion forum who is in the middle of constructing a Shergold double neck from scratch - he is going to have a go a casting a new perspex but for his and, if it works, do one for me too.[/quote]

What a great description! My thoughts exactly! I've tried one of these. Basically it's the lure of a boutique bass. I think the auction that ended with it selling in the $500ish (sorry guys I'm in the US) range is about right. For some reason, here in the US, dealers like to place ranges in the $1500+ bracket for these because they are discontinued from the UK and people buy into it. Sort of the same reaction women swoon over a man with an English or French accent :) :huh:

As far as I can remember, [url="http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk"]Brandoni guitars[/url] used to have Hayman parts in their catalogue a few years back. I've no idea whether they still have them, but it might be worth getting in touch to see if they have a bridge or two stashed away.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Result!!

Not only do they have a new perspex bit, they have a whole new bridge assembly - saves me a HUGE headache as there was a number of grub screws missing on the adjusters.

Thanks for the suggestion Beer of the Bass. I'll buy you a pint if we ever meet.

• 1 year later...

Hello all....

I've had to put my [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hayman-4040-Vintage-Bass-Burns-Vox-Shergold-1972-/280557114272?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item415281d3a0"]Hayman 4040 up for sale on eBay [/url]this week.

It's been well used, but it's a great, eye catching bass, and it's still got the bridge cover that's becoming very hard to find.

I'd like to know it's going to someone who appreciates it....

:)