Why become a member? ×

New Basschat Features

ped

The topics will essentially be marked as read if you come back and click see new since last visit, I think, because even though you haven't read the thread in question it'll know you have seen the thread so it won't display it as new, I think.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1316331967' post='1376533']
Spotted View New Content but can't see how to mark it as read.

Looking much nicer, well done.
[/quote]

Thanks for the positive and negative comments, keep them coming.

There used to be a 'use full site' button in the mobile app but there isn't at the moment, I'll see if we can have it back.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1316333846' post='1376549']
I like the wee box at the top right that has a load of options. Nice touch.
Is there a way to switch to desktop version?
That would be handy for jumping pages.
[/quote]

Hmmmm... is anyone getting reply notifications? I've checked my settings and by default it's set to this:

[b]Auto follow topics I reply to. Notification frequency: Immediate[/b]

..but I'm still not getting anything.

Also, i think 'view new content' is a little vague. IMO it should be renamed to 'View new posts'.

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1316308709' post='1376487']

Great, cos I don't already spend too much time on here. That's just really inconsiderate of you.

p.s. it's looking awesome, well done and thankyou :)

Edit: a pretty pedantic problem i think, but for some reason the quotes on[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/145122-new-events-forum/"] this thread [/url]don't seem to be behaving. Just thought I'd point it out incase it shows something underlying...
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll check it out. Could be that because it was all written on the old site the new one doesn't recognise the quote tags... we probably need to adjust something.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1316335311' post='1376559']
Hmmmm... is anyone getting reply notifications? I've checked my settings and by default it's set to this:

[b]Auto follow topics I reply to. Notification frequency: Immediate[/b]

..but I'm still not getting anything.

Also, i think 'view new content' is a little vague. IMO it should be renamed to 'View new posts'.
[/quote]

Working for me. Make sure you tick the box next to the event type, too.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316335613' post='1376563']

Working for me. Make sure you tick the box next to the event type, too.
[/quote]
Ah - I've been through and configured what notifications I want.

Is that by design? I would have thought reply & PM notifications would be best set to 'on' by default...?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1316336043' post='1376568']
Ah - I've been through and configured what notifications I want.

Is that by design? I would have thought reply & PM notifications would be best set to 'on' by default...?
[/quote]

Yes, by default everything is turned off! I think generally people don;t want to be bothered by emails and notifications as they might see it as spam, especially with the new types available on the new site - it's easier to allow each user to add what they like.

I just had a notification of this reply as a red balloon and I have been sending PMs which I choose to be notified of my email.

Hope it's working for you now?

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316336508' post='1376575']

Yes, by default everything is turned off! I think generally people don;t want to be bothered by emails and notifications as they might see it as spam, especially with the new types available on the new site - it's easier to allow each user to add what they like.

I just had a notification of this reply as a red balloon and I have been sending PMs which I choose to be notified of my email.

Hope it's working for you now?

Cheers
ped
[/quote]
Yep- it's working now. Thank you!

I see your point, but I assume new users have the chance to select whether they want to receive notifications or not.

Current users would probably want the status quo maintained, I reckon...?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1316336794' post='1376579']
Where is the mobile site?
[/quote]

It just loads automatically when I visit on my iPhone - guess other phones might not necessarily follow the same idea... We'll ned to adjust it later today to give people the option.

I'm sure there's a lot of hard work gone into this, but I personally don't think the new look & feel is an improvement. Sorry! It might just be the old "resistance to change" factor kicking in and I'll certainly try to give the new-styling a go. Just wanted to say though as I don't think the old site was really that bad.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1316337287' post='1376586']
I'm sure there's a lot of hard work gone into this, but I personally don't think the new look & feel is an improvement. Sorry! It might just be the old "resistance to change" factor kicking in and I'll certainly try to give the new-styling a go. Just wanted to say though as I don't think the old site was really that bad.
[/quote]

The change was a necessity due to improved anti spam features on the new software, but we also decided the new features were really worthwhile. I hope you get used to it. I think people said this last time, and have since the dawn of the interwebz!

I guess some bits are slow as it's still essentially 'going live' so not up to full strength yet. I'm not technical with this at all so ben will be along later to update us all.

Thanks guys
ped

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1316337803' post='1376592']

The change was a necessity due to improved anti spam features on the new software, but we also decided the new features were really worthwhile. I hope you get used to it. I think people said this last time, and have since the dawn of the interwebz!

I guess some bits are slow as it's still essentially 'going live' so not up to full strength yet. I'm not technical with this at all so ben will be along later to update us all.

Thanks guys
ped
[/quote]

It's a little odd at present due to being used to the old one but it works just like the old one but with a few more features which is a good thing.

Edited by waynepunkdude

I'd prefer all the posting information to be closer together, rather than split either side of the screen ([i]title/started by/go to first unread post[/i] button to the left, [i]views/replies/last post[/i] to the right) so that I can take it all in with a glance.

Subtitles no longer show alongside/beneath main thread titles.

And - yes - change frightens me!

I do like to see format changes (such as italicising) instantaneously while I'm writing a reply. Is that why somebody mentioned that the Preview Post feature has gone? I guess I'll find out any second now...

...aha - it's there in More Reply Options.

EDIT: clarity

Edited by Mr H