Why become a member? ×

Peavey Max Valve Preamp - £145

deBassMan

[color=#000080][size=5][font=Tahoma]Is the Peavey Max Preamp the best performing/best value valve bass preamp?[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#000080]Used lightly in my smokefree home studio only, this 1U unit d[/color][color=#000080]elivers amazing clean, powerful, valve crunch and/or solid-state muscle. Recently professionally serviced and has had a new 12AX7 valve fitted, 'as new' condition.[/color]

[color=#000080][/color][list]
[*][color=#000080]Incredibly flexible yet intuitive and easy to use.[/color]
[*][color=#000080]Designed, manufactured and solidly constructed in the U.S.[/color]
[*][color=#000080]Input has switchable -10db pad (for both passive and active instruments).[/color]
[*][color=#000080]Features two separate channels, 1 valve (12AX7), 1 solid state. These can be used and switched independently or used together and blended.[/color]
[*][color=#000080]Gain/Volume levels can be individually set for each channel.[/color]
[*][color=#000080]EQ is passive for the valve channel; Bass, Mid and Treble controls are provided. [/color]
[*][color=#000080]The valve channel has two boost switches; Punch and Bright, which boost midbass and highs accordingly.[/color]
[*][color=#000080]EQ for the solid state is addressed by a quality 7-band graphic equalizer which has a high and low shelving contour control for the frequencies either side of the equalizer's range.[/color]
[*][color=#000080]Channel Blend control (simple way of dialling in the amount of valve sound against ss sound), and crossover adjustment of balance and frequency enables the bi-amping of your system (via a stereo or 2x mono power amps) and two suitable cabinets.[/color]
[/list]
[color=#000080][size=5][font=Tahoma][/font][/size][/color]
[color=#000080]Switchable Pre or Post EQ low and high Z DI, separate [/color][color=#000080]Full, High and low outputs, effects send and return, footswitchable channels select/combine.[/color]

[color=#000080][size=5][font=Tahoma][/font][/size][/color]

[color=#000080]Sound Quality:[/color]
[color=#000080]The valve channel gives instant warm tube goodness to your bass signal (works a treat with guitar, vocals too).[/color]

[color=#000080]The solid state channel delivers fast and muscular low frequency solidity - use one or the other or choose to precisely dial in the amount of valve and solid-state channels for the best of both.[/color]

[color=#000080]If you wind up the valve channel pre you can drive it into typical 12AX7 type distortion which can be switched in and out as you see fit. Alternatively, it may be used to enhance the tonal charactersitics of the solid state channel. Or it can be used as a smoother alternative ... The possibilities are numerous.[/color]

[color=#000080]People in the know say this unit outperforms a Demeter (at a fraction of the cost).[/color]

[color=#000080]Collect (nr Watford) or possible to pack/ship at buyers expense.[/color]

[color=#000080]see this link for the owners manual[/color]
[url="http://www.peavey.co...als/maxbass.pdf"]http://www.peavey.co...als/maxbass.pdf[/url]

Edited by deBassMan

• 3 months later...

Excellent - So you've been sending it straight into a desk for recording?
Thats exactly what I have in mind, so assuming all is still working ok, I would be very interested.

I could collect from you - I pass Watford with work occasionaly, and only live 60 miles down the A1 anyway.....
Let me know if/how you want to proceed

Nice one.
B