Why become a member? ×

B&H 3/4 double bass for sale

jenh

[size=5]After years of thinking I might pick it up and play again, I'm selling my student double bass - it needs a new home and a lot more attention.[/size]

[size=5]It's a 3/4 size Boosey and Hawkes 400 Series, made in Czechoslovakia in the mid to late eighties. It's a really nice quality student instrument (and as other posts have commented a lot better than the cheap Chinese made ones).[/size]

[size=5]It's pretty much exactly as bought (brand new in 1990), with its original strings, and no changes or repairs. Photos attached below.[/size]

[size=5]The only marks on it are a few white scuffs in the lacquer (also shown in the photos) where it was transported and rested on its side. I can't comment on relative sound quality as I never played anything else, but it always sounded good to me.[/size]

[size=5]No bag or stand, but I will include my old bow (which needs restringing) if desired.[/size]

[size=5]Asking [s]£550[/s] [b]price dropped to £425 or near offer[/b]. [/size]

[size=5]The bass is available to view/play at my parents' house in Ferndown, Dorset. Please PM me if you'd like to take a look.[/size]

[size=5]EDIT: After a couple of queries about whether it was solid top or laminate, I can confirm it is a laminate/ply fronted bass. (As a qualifier to that, the general web consensus seems to be that it makes a very good sound for a laminate/student level instrument.[/size]..)

[attachment=89799:bass 2.jpg]
[attachment=89768:bass 1.jpg]
[attachment=89800:bass 3.jpg]
[attachment=89801:bass 4.jpg]
[attachment=89802:bass 5.jpg]

Edited by jenh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...