Why become a member? ×

Finally getting my bass built! By our very own Ou7shined!

woodyratm

Hey guys,
Though I'd create this thread while I had a spare few moments. Decided to get a custom bass built and after much thought decided to stay local (to basschat and geographically!) and have got Rich (Ou7shined) to build me one. It's pretty much like my Lakland DJ4 but with different neck and LEDs. Also has a mix of stingray added for good measure!

[size=2][/size]

Edited by woodyratm

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update to this:- I believe Rich has got the body now and is working on it now.
Will hopefully have pictures soon (think i have one kicking about).

Also the pickups have changed - Still Delano - but instead of the Hybrid (with poles on show), its going to have covered poles.

I need to take a proper look at the neck that Rich got, It's figured maple so just want to make sure it will look good with the LEDs and body.
Kinda makes me think Classic and modern together.

Here you go mate.

The body looks something a little .... (well it did but it's been resting sans clamps for a couple of days)

... it will receive more guitar like curves any minute now in fact.

Oh and just to clarify, it's just the fingerboard that's blessed with the eyes of birds not the whole neck. :) I'm still in 2 minds as to whether it will go but we'll see.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1318934632' post='1407819']
Here you go mate.

The body looks something a little .... (well it did but it's been resting sans clamps for a couple of days)

... it will receive more guitar like curves any minute now in fact.

Oh and just to clarify, it's just the fingerboard that's blessed with the eyes of birds not the whole neck. :) I'm still in 2 minds as to whether it will go but we'll see.
[/quote]

Ta :) Yep this picture.

Cheers mate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking good..the grain is so well matched that I had to go back and check it really was three piece..lovely grain - you're not going to cover this up though are you?? Surely you're going down the "translucent" route rather than a solid finish..it would be a shame to hide the grain..I've got Birds eye Maple on the fretboard of my Overwater (see the Avatar) - looks and plays great - hope yours is going to be the same..while Rich is adding curves may I suggest the curve that Fender have added to the Deluxe models where the neck joins the body to make access to the higher notes easier - seems obvious now - only took Fender 60 years to figure it out.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVbnr-VOj48"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVbnr-VOj48[/url]

check out the images at 1:40

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1321975923' post='1445026']
Looking good..the grain is so well matched that I had to go back and check it really was three piece..lovely grain - you're not going to cover this up though are you?? Surely you're going down the "translucent" route rather than a solid finish..it would be a shame to hide the grain..I've got Birds eye Maple on the fretboard of my Overwater (see the Avatar) - looks and plays great - hope yours is going to be the same..while Rich is adding curves may I suggest the curve that Fender have added to the Deluxe models where the neck joins the body to make access to the higher notes easier - seems obvious now - only took Fender 60 years to figure it out.

[media]...[/media]

check out the images at 1:40
[/quote]

Nice vid. :)
If you look closely at the body blank you'll see that rather than chamfering that corner down, I have removed it completely to produce an angled approach to the neck pocket and further improve access to the upper frets. :) I wonder how long it will take Fender to suss that one out. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys - Got a few new pictures to show you.
I'm getting really excited now.

The neck begins:-

Truss rod:-

Template of neck drawn:-

Neck shape sorted! :D

Neck once again from behind (with a cheeky peek at the body now ;):-

And finally, the headstock:-

I love the fact it's beginning to take shape and look like a proper bass.

No major issues encountered just yet:- minus one involving pickup location/scratch plate, but its all sorted now.

Dave