Why become a member? ×

what is the difference between an ampeg SVT-CL and an ampeg SVT-VR?

Johnnyc

Hey guys, does anyone know the difference between an Ampeg SVT-VR and an SVT-CL? i know the vr is based on the 1970's svt's trying to recreate that sound... but seeing as the description of both amps mention that classic 'ampeg sound' i dont really know what the differences are, sounds wise... which would you recommend?

i bought a VR but it broke after 2 hours and ampeg cant get the parts for a good few months, & i already waited 3 months for it... they offered me a CL instead but i'm not sure whether to take it as i don't know what the differences are.

gotta make a decision by early next week =/

thanks in advance
Johnny

been trawling through alot of reviews and shizz... theres not really alot out there on the VR vs CL in terms of the sound/tone. it seems like the VR goes louder from some of these reviews. is there anyone that has tried both that can give an A B of tonal quality between the two?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not 100% on this, but i think i remember a review from when the VR came out saying that the power amp on the CL had been updated while the VR was a pretty faithful replication of a 1970 SVT.

I've never played through either but funilly enough, when watching bands, I've never heard a VR i've not liked whereas it's quite rare that i find a CL I like

yeah i decided to take the CL and got it today... what a foolish move... the unit i received was of poor build quality, and sounded distinctly average and dull. i'm pretty sure that the solid state ampeg that the shop loaned me sounded alot better! as soon as i pulled the amp out of the box i heard a rattling from inside it, and on inspecting the back of the amp it appeared that the black cubes on either side were hanging off, and one of the tubes was pointing out at a precarious angle. now at this stage im like... damned if i'm turning this thing on it'll probs explode! i opened up the back and the cubes in there were fairly secure but the screws and glue from one side of them had failed, and one of the cubes had bent (i call them cubes as i have no idea what they are, please excuse my ignorance!) then i turned the amp upside down and a 2 1/2" screw fell out from somewhere!! plucked up to courage to turn it on and it works, but its really nothing special and i would never have bought it if i have seen it and heard it before hand...
so far my experiences with ampeg have really put me off... cba with all this bs just gimme a decent amp... can anyone recommend an alternative amp? i've heard the fender bassman 300 pro is quite good but there is no place to buy them, and some people have been praising the mesa 400+...

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1318372770' post='1401447']
If I was going to go valve amp I would have to try one of these bad boys for sure...

[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=valve&ID=231"]http://www.ashdownmu...on=valve&ID=231[/url]
[/quote]

Hell of a lot more expensive though, and (as you've probably guessed from the LB550 thread) I'd certainly want to take a peek inside and see if the build quality is actually any better than the ampeg.

I've said it lots of times but the majority of valve gear really is the 'emperors new clothes'; it looks and often sounds the part but I'm far from convinced it's made to the standards it should be to justify the outlay.

Top tip here:

Have you heard about Traynor? I bought their 300 watt valve head (YBA300) about 3 months ago and I couldn't be happier with it. I used an SVT-CL from the late 90's (still US made) for a long time and it was a great amp. When I sold it (because I didn't have a roadie to carry it for me anymore...) I started to use a power amp + sansamp kinda thing. Great sound, but I always felt that there was a little something missing there, even if just psychologically. I was considering getting another valve head and had given up on getting myself a new Ampeg after hearing so many terrible stories about their latest, Asia made stuff, when I bumped into Traynor.

To make it short, I bought it, I'm playing with it and it rocks! Made in Canada, as loud as the SVT, much lighter and, in to my ears, more versatile. Every time I take it to a gig the other band members are really impressed with it. It really is a bad ass amp!

And to make it even better: Thomann sells them for £757,33. Comapring to the SVT is half the price, half the weight, more sounds available to you and definitely much better built. No brainer! You should really check them out.

[url="http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=5&cat=40&id=435"]http://www.traynoram...5&cat=40&id=435[/url]
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_yba300.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ynor_yba300.htm[/url]

I'm not a Traynor endorsee, by the way... (I wish!). The only association I have with them is that of a, now, loyal costumer (at least until they start making crap gear in Vietnam, or wherever).

Cheers

Eddie

Edited by eddiehoffmann

thanks for the replies everyone, & Eddie that traynor yba300 has piqued my curiosity, been reading reviews all afternoon... whats the tone on it like? i'm after quite a punchy rock sound that will cut through a full band pretty easy, how well you reckon this amp will pull that off? cant believe how cheap it is to be honest! gutted i cant try one as theres no decent music shops nearby, and i doubt most places stock these anyhow.

cheers mate
Johnny

Hey Johnny!

I would say that a classic rock tone is what the Traynor does best. It does what you expect of a valve amp in a rock band situation. Loud, fat and clear tone. I have two Orange OBC 115 cabinets and even without 10" speakers or tweeters it cuts through any band mix like a knife. I don't know how they manage to sell it for such a low price, but my guess is that they're trying to get better known in Europe and once they feel the market is ready they'll raise the prices according to the competition.

I would offer you to come and try mine mate, but I don't think you'll have a proper picture with the kind of volume I'm aloud in my flat... :) If you're in London, maybe you could come to one of my gigs?

Cheers

Eddie

Hi Johnny,

The next open gig where I'm gonna be using the Traynor will be this coming Saturday, at the glorious O'neill's, in Richmond. Also I'm gonna be using my new (old) 1977 P-Bass with it for the first time. It should be fun! :)

D' you know what... I've been offered a Berg NV610 this week. I'm very curious to hear how they sound together. I bet lovely! Ah... Temptation!

Anyway... Come down for a pint!

Cheers

Eddie

yeah man the berg is an epic cab been after one for a while. so hard to find 2nd hand and well expensive new though! would love to come for a pint, gotta get my bro and cousin on board cos they're staying at mine this weekend, not sure they'll be up for it as we only get together 2-3 times a year and pretty sure they wouldn't want to spend 3-4 hours of drinking time in the car :)
you gigging the traynor anywhere next weekend?

Johnny