Why become a member? ×

Where to try NS BassCello (in the UK)

mixingwithtom

I was watching that French guy on youtube play one last night. Very impressive, but I can't understand the appeal over an ordinary cello, myself.

Sorry for being no help whatsoever.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bY9CTTeA1oc"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bY9CTTeA1oc[/url]

Unfortunately the only place I saw the Bass Cello was the Bass Centre when they had a retail space.

Thomann.de sell them and have a [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/helpdesk_moneyback.html"]policy[/url] where they will take it back if you don't like it for any reason, no questions asked. I ordered my CR5M from them, but didn't send it back :)

Hi tom
There was one in promenade music in morcambe,(LANCS) i saw it when i bought my WAV electric upright from there, that was about 8 months ago though, i didnt try it though was too busy fiddling(no pun intended) with my new purchase, cant find no at mo but google it, ask for gary great guy to deal with and gets stuff from the bass centres suppliers, but he has the NS line.
If you get one let me know what its like coz i fancy one in the future.
All the best- LEE

Hi!

Was wondering if there are any UK based players using an NS BassCello? I'd really love to try one...alternatively anyone know of a NS dealer who would be able to get one for me to try? I travel all over the UK so anywhere here would be fine.

Any comments on these appreciated, cheers

Tom
[/quote]

Hi,

Cheers for the advice. I've seen it on thomann.de and part of me is tempted to order it in the knowledge I can send it back, but if there is one in the UK somewhere I'd still rather try it first (after all trying a £1500+ instrument in a shop for a few hours and then buying it is still a matter of confidence - especially given I don't play EUB at the moment).

If I get one I'll certainly report back (and would be happy for others who are interested to try it). I'm fairly sure I will, but it may take a few months, depends on finances and being able to try one. Promenade Music seems like a good bet (they are here: www.promenademusic.co.uk) and I've just emailed them FAO of Gary.

All the best,

Tom

Totally off topic
But i must say you have the best avatar ever- all the best- lee

I was watching that French guy on youtube play one last night. Very impressive, but I can't understand the appeal over an ordinary cello, myself.

Sorry for being no help whatsoever.

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bY9CTTeA1oc"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bY9CTTeA1oc[/url]
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

The French guy in the YouTube clip is actually playing an NS Design Cello, not a Bass Cello. I've always fancied a Bass/Cello too (I already have a NS CR4 EUB and it's wonderful) and occasionally even wonder about seeling my fretless Wal to raise the cash. Common sense is usually restored after a minute or two however.

I wouldn't have too much of a problem buying one blind from Thomman. Ned Steinberger has never really designed a duff instrument, the manufacturing quality of the NS instruments in general seem pretty good, and Thomman have always been reliable (for me anyway). There'd also be little trouble selling a bass/cello if it wasn't right.

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tom,

I've got one, purchased from the Bass Centre before their retail space vanished. (That's a bit of a sore point, but I'll leave that be for now...)

Anyway, I love it, but am still learning my way around it. Can't do arco for toffee (although it sounds f***ing stunning when bowed).

In terms of where to find one, the Bass Gallery does have /some/ NS stuff, so might be an avenue. Drop me a PM if you're really stuck: if you can get to Cambridgeshire at a convenient time, you're welcome to have a go.

--Chris

I got to play a bass cello at the LIM show on Thursday and very nice it seemed too - although in the show environment it was pretty hard to make any serious judgment about its sound. One thing surprised me however - I found it quite difficult to play. I use different left-hand fingering techniques - one for electric bass and one for upright bass. The bass cello, in having the scale length of an electric bass but with the orientation of an upright, resulted in my left hand getting tied hopelessly in knots as it lurched randomly between the two fingering techniques. I'm sure, given a little time I'd get used to it, and electric bass fingering would make most sense, but I hate to think what would happen to my upright bass technique.

Of course all this is a touch academic - I don't have the £2.2k I was quoted by House Music (The Bass Centre) at the show.

Phil

[quote name='philw' post='219798' date='Jun 16 2008, 12:49 PM']I got to play a bass cello at the LIM show on Thursday and very nice it seemed too - although in the show environment it was pretty hard to make any serious judgment about its sound. One thing surprised me however - I found it quite difficult to play. I use different left-hand fingering techniques - one for electric bass and one for upright bass. The bass cello, in having the scale length of an electric bass but with the orientation of an upright, resulted in my left hand getting tied hopelessly in knots as it lurched randomly between the two fingering techniques. I'm sure, given a little time I'd get used to it, and electric bass fingering would make most sense, but I hate to think what would happen to my upright bass technique.

Of course all this is a touch academic - I don't have the £2.2k I was quoted by House Music (The Bass Centre) at the show.

Phil[/quote]
I tried that one there on Saturday. It felt completely different to my NS CR-5M and even though the scale was similar to that of the Dean Pace I had before the NS, I was all over the place on the basscello. Probably something I'd get used to it I had one, but it certainly helped to stop me gassing for one