Why become a member? ×

CHEAP ROCKABILLY BASSES BE WARNED

rockabillybob1

I recently purchased a stentor blonde rockabilly bass for £680 it arrived packed up well and after unpacking we took the metal tailpeice off changed for ebony , then took the ajustable bridge off never liked these rather have full sound of strings going through the bridge. Restrung it with inovation super silvers tuned up and left it a couple of days to settle down E A D sounded ok ish G string buzzed rattled and no end of ajusting and moving the Bridge would shift it . The fingerboards on these are ebonized and have dips and rises like the welsh valleys. The build quality is shockingly bad i thought primavera blondes were a bit shoddy but these are like ply from the builders yard, what is used for smashed windows etc, the varnish was thin in places and thick in others, i would warn anyone who is considering one of these to stay away from them rather use a t chest bass than this, When plugged in with good pickups sounded just as bad no bottom end , so primavera is one of the better ones now in my eyes if you want a nicer tone and a better build try a primavera 50 the problem with internet basses is you cant try them so if this helps anyone with these basses then great im sticking to my 37 kay you would be better finding an old czek or german if you want a cheaper bass and doing it up

Edited by rockabillybob1

Just read it back to yourself out loud at an average pace and any place you pause, put a comma. Any place you take a breath, put a full stop. That's enough punctuation to make your posts easy to read and that's all anyone really cares about.

Edit: I see you've already been through your post and improved it. Thanks man much appreciated. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='rockabillybob1' timestamp='1317555480' post='1391695']
I recently purchased a stentor blonde rockabilly bass for £680 it arrived packed up well and after unpacking we took the metal tailpeice off changed for ebony , then took the ajustable bridge off never liked these rather have full sound of strings going through the bridge. Restrung it with inovation super silvers tuned up and left it a couple of days to settle down E A D sounded ok ish G string buzzed rattled and no end of ajusting and moving the Bridge would shift it . The fingerboards on these are ebonized and have dips and rises like the welsh valleys. The build quality is shockingly bad i thought primavera blondes were a bit shoddy but these are like ply from the builders yard, what is used for smashed windows etc, the varnish was thin in places and thick in others, i would warn anyone who is considering one of these to stay away from them rather use a t chest bass than this, When plugged in with good pickups sounded just as bad no bottom end , so primavera is one of the better ones now in my eyes if you want a nicer tone and a better build try a primavera 50 the problem with internet basses is you cant try them so if this helps anyone with these basses then great im sticking to my 37 kay you would be better finding an old czek or german if you want a cheaper bass and doing it up
[/quote]

I know very little about double basses but you'd certainly expect better for that price! Sounds like shockingly bad quality control - if it even exists at all in their workshop!

Like the 'flame' double bass in your picture Bob! :)

Angie