Why become a member? ×

Hohner 5-string fretless bass guitar

SamHarris

I'm selling my Hohner Professional 5-string fretless bass, made around 1992. It was de-fretted when I bought it from the Bass Centre in Wapping, and has served me well since then. It is a through-neck bass, with a maple body and a rosewood fretboard, so it's a very attractive instrument. The through-neck gives a lovely sustain and tone too.

Please note that though it has passive and active pickups, only the passive circuitry works (though this has actually proved quite useful - 1) because the passive circuitry offers, in my opinion, a more subtle and expressive range of sounds, and 2) the passive / active switch has been really useful for a 'mute' switch - particularly handy onstage or rehearsing). So, this would need to be fixed by an electronics engineer if you wanted more active 'power'.

The bass plays really nicely, and would suit anyone into Primus, Jaco Pastorius, jazz or rock. A very distinctive sound with an extended note range (I tune the low B down to A#, which would be ideal for anyone playing metal too!).

Also, I've found that the tuning pegs stay in tune more than any instrument I've ever known - no exaggeration, I once took this out of storage after 2 years, and it was still in tune!

The bass has had a few cosmetic scratches and bumps, as you would expect for an instrument of this age, but nothing that affects the playing or sound in any way.

I'll be sad to see this bass go, but I feel that it's time to let it go to a more suitable home. If this is you, please feel free to email me with any questions you might have concerning the bass.

As it's a heavy, large item, I can offer a courier service, but it would be preferable for the winning bidder to pick up from me (I am based in London).

Oh yes, and forgot to say, my local luthier has recently replaced the jack input, so this is brand-new!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Edited by SamHarris

• 1 month later...