Why become a member? ×

AER Amp One - The best amp I have bought - EVAR !!

The Dark Lord

A transient is the leading edge of a signal (ie a note).

It is significantly (often very significantly) louder than the following note.

It is of very short duration (several ms in length, maybe as much a 20, more often less)

It contains very little true pitch information, often being largely a percussive noise

It has a far higher ratio of high frequency than the tone making up the body of the note that follows it (the harmonic content lives in there)

Every note you play however gentle, however hard whatever technique has a transient at the front of it, it can also be considered the attack phase of the signal in envelope terms.

Hope that clears it up a bit!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1319126309' post='1410341']
A transient is the leading edge of a signal (ie a note).

It is significantly (often very significantly) louder than the following note.

It is of very short duration (several ms in length, maybe as much a 20, more often less)

It contains very little true pitch information, often being largely a percussive noise

It has a far higher ratio of high frequency than the tone making up the body of the note that follows it (the harmonic content lives in there)

Every note you play however gentle, however hard whatever technique has a transient at the front of it, it can also be considered the attack phase of the signal in envelope terms.

Hope that clears it up a bit!
[/quote]
You are the man 51m0n!

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1319136245' post='1410488']
+1 - thanks for this 51m0n - I'd no idea - we probably need a Basschat glossary
[/quote]

We already have one, he's called 51m0n!

Although I don't like him because he reminded me how much I want a Thumpinator and I can't afford it at the moment......

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1319125539' post='1410324']
More helpfully, I found this review of AER Amp One and upright bass on TB

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/aer-amp-one-407746/index2.html#post6455522"]http://www.talkbass....tml#post6455522[/url]
[/quote]

thanks clarky, looks very interesting for db but with gigs cancelled i'll reconsider next year.

• 4 years later...

thread from the dead

This thread pop up in my research of the AER Amp One so thought I would update it with my thoughts having just acquired one.

All I can say is WOW! I've had a fair few compact amps but this thing puts out far more bass than it should and is perceptively very loud. I know there is debate about the processing and the lack of deep lows etc but I don't miss them, although I'm hard pushed not to 'hear' them. I'm a 115 deep as you like type of guy but this 110 does it for me. it sounds more vintage than I thought, but not like an all tube amp. Guess I mean it's less Hifi than I thought it would be. Not gigged it yet but practiced with a loud drummer and had to turn it down. I've pretty much left it flat but it makes my P sound like a P. It has a plethora of ins and outs and I'm confident it will manage pub gigging duties without support but we shall see. Next outing will be a festival with PA support so it will be my stage monitor.