Why become a member? ×

Joyo Dynamic Compressor - Awesome!!

SirChewey

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1320403532' post='1426303']
phew, saved by the bell, my colleagues don't have to suffer the dreaded BASS BURP after all.
the compressor just turned up and it has a customs decalaration on back with a declared value of $6 and no customs fee to pay; but b*#~ocks, I've been had, it's only worth $6!

parcel is well wrapped and pedal comes in a nice box.
it all looks good so far.
I'll have a play with it when I get some time over w/e and try and get some clips up as soon as I can after that.
[/quote]
Oops, only just noticed this. I'd be tempted to go back and demand a partial refund, cos you should surely have only paid $6 for it :)

Alternatively, we might just want to be collectively grateful for their cunning tax-avoidance trick!

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1320417543' post='1426648']
Alternatively, we might just want to be collectively grateful for their cunning tax-avoidance trick!
[/quote]

i heard a good trick for keeping import duties low on guitars was to dismantle it and pack it safely but looking like junk in need of repair.
only trouble is you can only insure it for the value of the worthless junk that you declare it to be.

Just got to have a first noodle with this compressor. Tried it on both bass and guitar, all passive thru a 15w all valve 1x12 Fender Blues Junior. A/B'd it against a Keeley 4 knob Compressor, which is probably not a fair fight; but it did reveal the difference against a compressor that really knows its onions.

Almost inevitably I feel a bit underwhelmed by the Joyo. I felt that it was producing more level than compressio/sustain. Also the tone was quite harsh and actually detracts from the natural tone in bypass; whereas the Keeley adds compression rather than more level and the compression adds nice squashed tone and clarity to picking notes.

Obviously the Keeley is about £180 compared to around £30 for the Joyo and at that price it's a steal as a budget compressor and of slightly better quality than a Boss. It is may be nearly on a par with MXR quality.

Clearly this is all IMHO and only first impressions. I will play more over w/e and get back to you

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1320426867' post='1426839']
Just got to have a first noodle with this compressor. Tried it on both bass and guitar, all passive thru a 15w all valve 1x12 Fender Blues Junior. A/B'd it against a Keeley 4 knob Compressor, which is probably not a fair fight; but it did reveal the difference against a compressor that really knows its onions.

Almost inevitably I feel a bit underwhelmed by the Joyo. I felt that it was producing more level than compressio/sustain. Also the tone was quite harsh and actually detracts from the natural tone in bypass; whereas the Keeley adds compression rather than more level and the compression adds nice squashed tone and clarity to picking notes.

Obviously the Keeley is about £180 compared to around £30 for the Joyo and at that price it's a steal as a budget compressor and of slightly better quality than a Boss. It is may be nearly on a par with MXR quality.

Clearly this is all IMHO and only first impressions. I will play more over w/e and get back to you
[/quote]

Possibly as you say an unfair fight but worth every bit of £30 if your looking for a budget compressor, I personally don't think you'd be able to find a better one for that money. I hope that after your fiddle this weekend, you will be able to do a more detailed review as you seem to have some nice gear to campare it too. Will be interesting to read someone elses thoughts and experience with this pedal.

Well I nearly said before that while it sounds better than Boss to me, it doesn't feel as durable.
I shoulda said that.....i just went to have another play and the latch in the bypass switch has already broken and I was already in my slippers!

So, sorry guys; but no more testing or feedback is possible from me.
Shame really, cos as Sir Chewey said i dont think you would get a better one for that price.
For the few moments I played thru it again, without the Keeley in the chain to compare to, the Joyo was sounding pretty darn good.

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1320441376' post='1427051']
Well I nearly said before that while it sounds better than Boss to me, it doesn't feel as durable.
I shoulda said that.....i just went to have another play and the latch in the bypass switch has already broken and I was already in my slippers!

So, sorry guys; but no more testing or feedback is possible from me.
Shame really, cos as Sir Chewey said i dont think you would get a better one for that price.
For the few moments I played thru it again, without the Keeley in the chain to compare to, the Joyo was sounding pretty darn good.
[/quote]

I've been stomping on mine quite a bit over the last few weeks and actually thought it was built pretty well - have had no issues.....

You sure this wasn't you in the news the other week?...>>

Ha! Musta been where I went wrong!!
Seriously tho, it just failed with no heavy stomping. I musta switched it less than 20 times since it left the box. I guess i may have just been unlucky. Let's see what their customer service is like now.. ....

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1320444518' post='1427086']
Ha! Musta been where I went wrong!!
Seriously tho, it just failed with no heavy stomping. I musta switched it less than 20 times since it left the box. I guess i may have just been unlucky. Let's see what their customer service is like now.. ....
[/quote]
Fair play, either your unlucky or I'm lucky - even if their customer service is crap, it should be an interesting addition to the review. Although a quick fix with a soldering iron and a new switch from maplin and your sorted. I'm eager to hear your opinion after a good test run :)

yeah, you're right; I'll drop into Maplins next time in town - i really can't be assed to ship this back to China and wait again.
while we're waiting - has anybody tried this compressor live with a band?
I'd be interested to know if it holds up the bottom end in that situation and I'm not playing bass in a band at moment.

Well yes, I am. I don't like compressing the hell out of things so only have a little on to smooth it out slightly, I leave the rest to my fingers. I have found the compression on the Joyo quite subtle though, so i find it just right for me. The bottom end hold up fine IMO but my rig can pump out the low end and punch you in the nuts at the best of times :)

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1320447197' post='1427120']
yeah, you're right; I'll drop into Maplins next time in town - i really can't be assed to ship this back to China and wait again.
while we're waiting - has anybody tried this compressor live with a band?
I'd be interested to know if it holds up the bottom end in that situation and I'm not playing bass in a band at moment.
[/quote]
I'd have thought it's worth dropping them a line to see what they offer - they may just send you another one, to save you the bother. I've had their OCD clone for a month or two now, and the switch shows no sign of any problems yet, so I think you may just have been unlucky!

Hmm, having read of exactly the same thing on another forum, I'm starting to wonder if sending the wrong pedal is a sales tactic from Yoosmart. They sent me an octave distortion pedal instead of a delay, but they've offered me the delay for $35 in addition if I CBA sending back the other one. Quite tempted to do it anyway - I'm no expert but the compressor and distortion sound pretty good to me - amazing for the price.

Will post some more detailed thoughts later.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1320656234' post='1429326']
Well customer service appears to be excellent. I emailed YooSmart last night about the failed switch. They were very apologetic that they could not send a replacement before Thursday as they are moving office this week.
[/quote]
That's good! And if you're then needing to dispose of your old one, I'd be very willing to help you out :)

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1320869020' post='1432631']

That's good! And if you're then needing to dispose of your old one, I'd be very willing to help you out :)
[/quote]

We could do a deal there, as the new one that broke is getting a new TBP footswitch fitted as we speak.....PM me if you're serious!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Should anyone be looking for one of these, I just ordered one from banggood.com with a 5% off code I found on some voucher site for the grand total of £18 including delivery.

Got to be worth a pop for that money. They also have quite a few other Joyo pedals along with mostly ghastly far east musi-tat