Why become a member? ×

Cello tuned like a double bass?

Valhalalf

Well I picked up the cello last night, really nice condition with a hardcase and two bows. Pretty good for free.

Having had a look at the strings that were on it I reckon using the bottom four strings from a set of D'Addario Jazz light flatwound guitar strings will probably work just fine. I had read somewhere this was a good option.

http://store.daddario.com/category/145814/ECG25_Chromes_Light_12-52

And they're not that expensive if it doesn't work. I''d hate to spend £120 on a proper set of cello strings and it not work.

Will keep you posted when I've fitted them.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1319636673' post='1416704']
Yeah been reading up all these guys. They had the luxury of having custom strings made for them which I think could quite expensive.

*edit* just emailed LaBella strings in the states for advice on this as Ron Carter uses them so they may well have made him a custom set for his cello
[/quote]

A new set of Larsen strings for my 'Cello is £170!

LC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1326473896' post='1497770']
Still no where with the cello and in the mean time got an acoustic bass. Also got the cello valued the other week and it turns out it's worth £500, not bad for a freebie.

Think I'm just gonna sell it and buy something nice with the money :P
[/quote]

Right decision!

• 4 weeks later...

I would have thought a set of electric bass guitar strings should do the job. Maybe go for slightly higher tension as there is nearly a 9" difference in length, on the other hand they might just work with the lower tension too.
This has intrigued me so much, I've got a cello in the workshop that would sound awesome tuned as a bass. If interested I will post my experiences!

Cheers,
Kai