Why become a member? ×

Cello tuned like a double bass?

Valhalalf

Hey hey

I was just wondering if any bass chatter has tried and succeeded in tuning a Cello in bass standard tuning?

Basically I've been given a cello from a guy at work for free and rather than playing in the standard cello tuning C-G-D-A I was hoping to tune it in bass standard so all my fingerings etc can cross over without trouble. Obviously it'll probably be in standard tuning an octave higher than bass but I'm hoping to use it to practice on and to see how I get on with it before I get myself a proper EUB.

I've read multiple forum posts about doing this but can't find a solid answer that has worked. Some people have recommended using Rotosound Tru Bass 88s short scale flatwound bass strings. However I don't want to do something that ends up breaking or damaging the cello.

The scale length of the cello is about 27.5" I believe.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Cheers

Edited by Valhalalf

It can indeed be done. Oscar Pettiford did it -

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWLo8xkOxDc&hd=1[/media]

And coincidentally - I just got a cello yesterday too!!!

Just like any other tuning - it's all about getting the right string gauges. As to what they would be for a cello tuned in 4ths - I have no idea.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

If you're happy an octave high:
Depends on the strings that're already on... the D remains, the A may be fine dropped to G, though a higher tension cello A may help even things up. The cello G is likely to be OK going up to A, unless you're VERY unlucky, or it has spectacularly high tension steel strings on. Leaving you with the C.... I wouldn't fancy cranking one up to E - It might make it, but it may be better to get another G (steel) and de-tune that to E...

Alternatively, 1/8 double bass strings should have a scale length of 80cm (31 1/2") so should be fine in practice (lower tension than intended - but only ain to 4/4 strings on a 3/4 bass)

Bass sizes:
[url="http://doublebassguide.com/?page_id=3"]http://doublebassguide.com/?page_id=3[/url]

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1319551403' post='1415640']
It can indeed be done. Oscar Pettiford did it -

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWLo8xkOxDc&hd=1[/media]

And coincidentally - I just got a cello yesterday too!!!

Just like any other tuning - it's all about getting the right string gauges. As to what they would be for a cello tuned in 4ths - I have no idea.
[/quote]

Oh yes, more of this please :)

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1319576888' post='1416097']
And more on turning a cello into a bass. We've got one in the loft. Ms bigjohn's, from when she was at school. I've often thunk about doing it but am scaredy cat I'll break it...
[/quote]
But at the moment the cello is sad and lonely in your loft. If you broke it, it would have died doing what it was born to do.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1319578101' post='1416110']
But at the moment the cello is sad and lonely in your loft. If you broke it, it would have died doing what it was born to do.
[/quote]

This is true, but alas the cello is not mine, and if I broke it, I'd end up sad and lonely and in the loft...

I also read somewhere that you could use D'Addario Jazz light flatwounds as the bottom 4 strings would be very similar to the normal cello tension. I'm picking up the cello tonight so will have a look at the string thickness and see where to go from there. But if anyone has any more suggestions fire away, it'd be awesome if we could find a solution for everyone.

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1319623942' post='1416443']
I also read somewhere that you could use D'Addario Jazz light flatwounds as the bottom 4 strings would be very similar to the normal cello tension. I'm picking up the cello tonight so will have a look at the string thickness and see where to go from there. But if anyone has any more suggestions fire away, it'd be awesome if we could find a solution for everyone.
[/quote]
It's going to be fine I'm sure.

Yeah been reading up all these guys. They had the luxury of having custom strings made for them which I think could quite expensive.

*edit* just emailed LaBella strings in the states for advice on this as Ron Carter uses them so they may well have made him a custom set for his cello

Edited by Valhalalf

It's how I got started on bass, aged about 9 or 10 - my father brought home a cello because i was too small for a bass (and we didn't know about chamber basses at that point). Can't remember what strings were on it though. Knowing my old man, probably the original cello strings.

I think Ron Carter tuned it as a cello as the cello was his first instrument (when he was at school with Paul Chambers, the two had little to do with each other as RC was interested in classical cello and didn't take up the bass until later, when he realised he could not work as a cellist because of the racist employment practices of most US orchestras at that time. His piccolo bass was not a cello.

PS he told me this himself when I interviewed him about PC :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1319644085' post='1416833']
I think Ron Carter tuned it as a cello as the cello was his first instrument (when he was at school with Paul Chambers, the two had little to do with each other as RC was interested in classical cello and didn't take up the bass until later, when he realised he could not work as a cellist because of the racist employment practices of most US orchestras at that time. His piccolo bass was not a cello.

PS he told me this himself when I interviewed him about PC :)
[/quote]
When's the book available?

I recently got my cello back in working order after many years in bits. I have to tune it in fourths, I can't do fifths any more :)
I have to say, it makes me wonder if taking up bass guitar was a good move.

Edited by alyctes