Why become a member? ×

fender rumble 112 cab, a review

razze06

Right after practice yesterday I can say that I have mostly good things to report. The TC RH450 and the two cabs sound excellent, punchy and clear. I used both an old school rounded and an overdriven clangy sound, and the cabs performed admirably. Volume wise, I had zero problems, and that's with quite an enthusiastic drummer. I can see the concern if playing with two aggressive guitarists with large stacks. fortunately, I am not in that situation, but if I was, I wouldn't be using this rig.

The only negative is that the newest cab showed a mechanical rattle, only at higher volume and only at certain frequencies. I believe the little back panel where the leads plug in is not perfectly secured. I will try wedging a little bit of plastic in there to make that it is secure. I am not worried, but i'd like to get it sorted.

Crucially, I was able to take ALL my rig AND the bass in one single trip from my door, down two flights of stairs to my car. As a bonus, it all fitted in the boot of the car (a 10 year old Honda Accord saloon).

I had rattles also, in one cab was the grill ( a simple fix with a screwdriver) and on the later it has the back pannel, i took out the speaker and when i has going to tighten the screw i remembered to put some isolating foam between it and the cab, i've done it in both cabs just to be safe, 15min of work for a couple of months without any noise. It's a shame that Fender lets their cabs leaving the factory with problems like these but these are the kind of problems i can live with without any concern. ;)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1326814413' post='1502311']
I had rattles also, in one cab was the grill ( a simple fix with a screwdriver) and on the later it has the back pannel, i took out the speaker and when i has going to tighten the screw i remembered to put some isolating foam between it and the cab, i've done it in both cabs just to be safe, 15min of work for a couple of months without any noise. It's a shame that Fender lets their cabs leaving the factory with problems like these but these are the kind of problems i can live with without any concern. ;)
[/quote]

Wedging an old pick in the back panel did the trick :) I guess they need to skimp a little on QC to keep costs down. fortunately no issues at all with the sonic side of things!

Loved the sound and the response for reggae, good lows but no boom.

• 5 months later...

Very nice reviews, thank you all. Until recently I used an old Yorkville BC150 cab, with Eminence speaker, no horn, sounded great for me and did the job very well, also with rock-punk bands. Considering the age of the cab, I trade it for a BBE B Max preamp. Now I have to buy fast a cabinet, Saturday I have a small gig. Considering the low price, Eminence speaker and low weight, I think I will buy a 112 tomorrow. If I will find in the store also the 2x8" version, I will test it. If the cabinets are as good for me as they are for you, I will try also the new Rumble Head, seems to fit in my gig bag, in the front pocket.

Edited by bassus_play

i just bought today the 112 combo, and test it on a small gig. Very nice, I like it very much, easy to carry, bottom end as I didnýt expected. Does not sound like a big sturdy 115, but it's OK for my needs. I think i will buy also the 2x8" version, is louder then I thought. Problem is that the one I tested had some issue with the horn, hope is not a common fault. I didn't had the time to test the head, but I will with the next visit to Pro Guitar/Guitar Shop.

Edited by bassus_play

• 5 years later...

just bought these Fender V2 cabs off ebay after a heads up on here, £100 for both, used them for a gig at the weekend, nice clear punchy tone, clearer and punchier than the Fender V3 I've been using, and so light even my partner carried them in from the car, the 2 x 8 is 11.3 Kg and the 1 x 12 is 10.3Kg, the only downside is they're not very sensitive my Trace Elliot 250 watt amp was at 3 o clock instead of the normal 12 o clock

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1321895073' post='1444160']
Ok, time for my review. I must say i'm well surprised by this cab. Very light, well buildt and great finish.

The first thing i've done to it was to take it appart and see the quality of the components. Everything looked in good shape, not top notch material as we would suspect from a low-budget cabinet but very well put together with no visible flaws. Nice solders, good placing of the damping, very professional looking, only 4 screws securing the driver when it has 8 holes ( :lol:), no paint flaws, tolex well glued, rough handle...
[/quote]

Ghost_Bass, nice review. A review is not a review IMO unless you look under the bonnet (aka hood). I hope others will take note and get their screwdrivers out. Build quality is important and it's good to know when a manufacturer takes it seriously. I'm also with you on the Speakon issue.

Edited by stevie