Why become a member? ×

Zoom B2.1u - Hissing, Humming and Loss of Volume - Help

BH12neil

OK I have just set up my first pedalboard, a Gator powered by Gators own power brick. My chain is as follows:-

Stingray - EHX Bass Big Muff Pi - Zoom B2.1u - GK 1001 RB II amp

The Muff seems to work OK although I think I may be losing some volume when the Zoom is in the chain, if I take out the B2.1u the Muff works perfectly as does everything else. Its the Zoom that is causing all sorts of problems. I get really bad hissing, humming and loss of volume on many of the settings and the interference is driving me mad. I have gone back through the chain and all seems ok until the Zoom enters the equation.

Should I move the B2.1u before the Muff in the effects chain, would that help, I realise my cables could be improved upon and I am in the process of doing that in any case, but they are by no means cheap and nasty ones.

Any help would be really appreciated because I have only recently purchased the Zoom and I am now wondering whether I made the right choice. That said, I know many of you are very happy with your Zoom B2.1u's so I must be doing something wrong somewhere.

Just a final point, please bear in mind that I am new to all this and still have problems understanding terminology, so for the moment keep it as simple as possible and treat me like the idiot I am.

Kind Regards,

BH12neil

Are you daisy chaining? It sounds like you're not feeding enough amps (mA) to your pedals. Check how many mA the Zoom takes & how many mA your PSU chucks out.
If your PSU is only about 500 mA, then you're gonna have problems. If your PSU is all fine, then I'd take your Zoom & jump up & down on it whilst wearing clogs.

Thanks for your comments. Sorry I have just realised I've not made myself entirely clear, the Zoom isn't powered by the pedalboard power block, its plugged via an adapter into the mains and so in that respect is entirely separate.

I guess that was a bit of an oversight of mine not to note that.

Any other suggestions as to solve the problems?

Regards,

BH12neil