Why become a member? ×

BassDay UK 2011. 6th November - Manchester

BassBunny

[quote name='KERMITNT' timestamp='1320761768' post='1430975']... he said to me that this bass was top notch mate :)[/quote]

They were all great. I played the piezo only skelf fretless and was really amazed at the tonal pallet the ACG02 preamp offered with just that one pickup. It was the first time I'd really dabbled with the filter stack and once the set up was understood, you could really get a lot out of it. The moth bass was fantastic as well...perfectly balanced and very playable.

It will be really interesting to see what happens next March.
When you consider the size of the BassChat community, it is a wonder that a BassFest in Birmingham, (probably the best location for everyone), has never happened. Ped, where are you?

MB1. :)
Again! what was wrong with the R.N.C.M as a venue?
Seems to me the events got smaller and the artists are now allowed to dictate where the event is held?
What next? all round to Guy Pratts shed?

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1320768597' post='1431141']
Again! what was wrong with the R.N.C.M as a venue?
Seems to me the events got smaller and the artists are now allowed to dictate where the event is held?
What next? all round to Guy Pratts shed?
[/quote]

Why do you assume the artists dictate the venue? The RNCM costs a fair bit to hire and if not well supported by the trade I would imagine it is not financially viable. Add in the cost of a substantial PA hire for the day and In the current economic climate you need a fair bit of support to make it work. Entrance fees alone are not going to cut it if you want to attract top class performers.
You could always give it a try Martin and see if you can make the numbers add up. :)

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1315667317' post='1368669']
Went to see Stevie Willliams band on Thursday and it's "All Change".
Date moved to 6th November and now at Band on The Wall. He has managed to get Marcus Miller so it has moved to accomodate his schedule. He said the web-site will be updated this week-end.
Daz, might be worth changing the date on the first posting and have it moved to events....
[/quote]
Martin, the DATE was changed to accomodate MM, but I can see how my wording may have been misleading.
The RNCM issue over who would/could attend on the new date is between the organisers and the trade. If there wasn't enough trade interest, RNCM wouldn't be viable. Not much point in booking a place with loads of room if it isn't going to be used and doesn't cost in. At the end of the day, it is Stevie's project and he has done a fantastic job since the first one. He knows what will and won't work, but to expect him to book a place the size of RNCM if it then costs him money is just crazy.
At the end of the day you have a choice, go or don't, simples.

[quote name='TorVic' timestamp='1320789692' post='1431566']
My pictures from the day are available at: [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/100212465725187526301/BassDayUK2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink"]https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink[/url]

(I completely missed everything happening on the balcony! Ah well, next time then.)
[/quote]

Im getting "Sorry, that page was not found." when i click your link. :) cant wait to see the pics, glad someones camera was working (unlike mine, if anyone wants a hint for my xmas present this year) :)

Edited by daz

My bad, the permissions were not set for public viewing on the web. Have changed it - same link should work now. https://picasaweb.google.com/100212465725187526301/BassDayUK2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink
(I actually posted the picture of Marcus taking the bass from one of the audience members to his Facebook page!)

Edited by TorVic

[quote name='TorVic' timestamp='1320793906' post='1431651']
My bad, the permissions were not set for public viewing on the web. Have changed it - same link should work now. [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/100212465725187526301/BassDayUK2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink"]https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink[/url]
(I actually posted the picture of Marcus taking the bass from one of the audience members to his Facebook page!)
[/quote]

Cheers for the pictures mate.

Got a good picture of me in there, mind if i use it? :)

Well it's the first time I've managed to get down at opening time, and by the end of the night, my spine had felt the rigours of standing up all day.

Having been a huge fan of Marcus for years (sat here listening to him play on Luther tracks as I type), it was definitely my most anticipated Bass Day of all, and I wasn't disappointed. Marcus was fantastic, and Pat Illingworth did a fantastic job drumming for him.

I'd decided early on in the day that I'd be happy with a photo with Marcus if the opportunity arose. When it became obvious later on that he'd be signing almost anything and everything, the inevitable happened. I phoned the wife and asked her to bring my Fender Marcus Miller Jazz down, which she duly did (now I know why I married her!). I now have it signed by the man himself, and am a very happy bunny. In fact, I might nick Stuart's username and call myself VeryHappyBassBunny :)

As I was one of the last people out of the venue, I managed to have another little chat with Marcus as he was leaving at the same time. Boy, that man can travel. LA to New York to Manchester, then one night in a hotel (bearing in mind he'll probably have been awake half the night to keep his body in USA time), then back to New York, then on to Oklahoma where he was going to see a friend inducted into the basketball Hall of Fame. Then from there back to LA and heading back into the studio. He did admit that he sleeps very well on planes. Oh how the other half live!

As far as the venue's concerned, in this instance I did prefer the Band On The Wall as a "gig", but I do understand the frustration with lack of trade exhibitors. However, as Stuart's pointed out, these are very trying times economically, and the chance of small (if not very little) possibility of sales, I can understand the trade not showing up.

About the other artists, I thought Phil Mann's demo was great. Nice to have proper interaction with the audience. Thought he put across the "metronome" argument very well.

The ATM guys were great. Three basses all doing their own thing, yet working great as a band. Shame we couldn't have heard more from them.

Nigel Clutterbuck....I thought he put together a great little set. As someone who's known Nigel for a very long time (I think I even remember him playing that Overwater back in A1 Music all those years ago!), it was nice to see him get the opportunity to show more of what he does, and for people to appreciate it. He gets a lot of stick as he has a very percussive style, but as he's said himself, he wouldn't do it in a band situation as it won't get the gig.

Bernard Lackner. I remember him on the cafe stage at the RNCM a couple of years ago. A quality bass player, a quiet and unassuming man, and a unique right hand style (almost slapping with his folded index finger).

Jah Wobble was fantastic. A very, very funny bloke, and a great change of style. He's one of those blokes I could listen to all day, both on and off the bass.

Sadly, I missed Scott Devine. I had to go and eat at some point during the day. I was absolutely starving by that point.

All in all, a great day, and am already looking forward to next year, wherever and whenever it might be.

Well done Mr Stevie Williams.