Why become a member? ×

Demeter Compulator

niceguyhomer

This is what it says on the Demeter site..

Power supply: 9 volts DC. Either external or internal. For internal power, use a 9 volt battery. To access, remove the four screws on the sides of the unit and pull apart. Note: battery must have at least 7 volts for unit to work! External power supply using mini plug, tip positive, 9 volt DC regulated (100 milliamp or more).

I guess I need a positive tip one then. Thanks.

The one in the post above looks like the right polarity.

The diago website has the same thing:

[url="http://www.diago.co.uk/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,3/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,206/"]http://www.diago.co.uk/component/page,shop...art/Itemid,206/[/url]

The blue adaptor, bit more expensive but it says it's "Reverses polarity to a positive tip, 3.5mm (1/8") mini jack plug"

Which is what you need. I got one from diago for my Compulator.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='162657' date='Mar 24 2008, 02:49 PM']This is what it says on the Demeter site..

Power supply: 9 volts DC. Either external or internal. For internal power, use a 9 volt battery. To access, remove the four screws on the sides of the unit and pull apart. Note: battery must have at least 7 volts for unit to work! External power supply using mini plug, tip positive, 9 volt DC regulated (100 milliamp or more).

I guess I need a positive tip one then. Thanks.[/quote]

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='162535' date='Mar 24 2008, 09:39 AM']I've got a Boss 9v power supply but it won't fit my new Demeter Compulator without an adaptor. Does anyone know where I can buy the mini plug adaptor?[/quote]

Hi again! I got mine from Diago Pedal Boards (www.diago.co.uk). I think it was the blue one. Should be less than £10.00 I think.

The Demeter is a serious compressor! I wouldn't use something as "budget" as the Boss supply with it. Unless you can invest in a serious adapter, just run it on batteries (unless you've got a lot of pedals in which case...Buy a serious pawer supply).

[quote name='clauster' post='164001' date='Mar 26 2008, 07:24 PM']The Demeter is a serious compressor! I wouldn't use something as "budget" as the Boss supply with it. Unless you can invest in a serious adapter, just run it on batteries (unless you've got a lot of pedals in which case...Buy a serious pawer supply).[/quote]

A serious power supply? Boss not good enough then? :)

Anyways - I've ordered a couple of the Diago Blue adaptors - should be here today.

:) Okay, I'm a compression junkie who gets a bit obsessive about feeding a quality compressor nice clean power.

I forgot to say, if you do use batteries, be sure to take them out and polish them just to keep your compulator really happy :huh:

Cheap regulated transformers don't supply a steady 9v - it fluctuates as the incoming voltage fluctuates, which in turn affects the headroom of your compressor, in extreme circumstances you will see the led glow and dim. Unregulated ones are worse, the voltage fluctuates as the current drawn changes too.

You want a power supply that is a conditioner as well as transformer - extra electronics in the box ensure a steady 9v, rather than just a fraction of what is coming in.

Dunlop's DC Brick is one, there are plenty of others [edit - Godlyke's Power All is probably the cheapest option]. There is one (I can't remember the name, sorry) that is actually a charger and battery, similar to the power supplies recommended for high end hi-fi and file-servers. Not seen it over here, but it's abut $350 in the states :)

Edited by clauster

[quote name='clauster' post='165745' date='Mar 29 2008, 10:10 AM']Not seen it over here, but it's abut $350 in the states ;)[/quote]

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff*** that, I can buy 200 years worth of batteries for less than that :huh: but thanks for the advice clauster.

[quote name='clauster' post='165746' date='Mar 29 2008, 10:11 AM']Disclaimer - it won't harm your Compulator to use the boss, you just won't be getting the best out of your high-end compressor pedal.[/quote]

I'm sure that I'll be the weakest link in any musical chain :) I think I'll use batteries and the Boss/Diago thing as back up, but thanks again ;)

More to it than that Kev. PSAs are regulated and ACAs are unregulated. A 9v unregulated adapter will only be putting out 9v at its rated current draw, if you are drawing less current, then the voltage goes up. A regulated 9v will only ever put out a max of 9v (but may drop below).