Why become a member? ×

Steinberger XM-2 4 string bass in red with white binding. SOLD !!

eubassix

[color=#000000]Late 80's Steinberger XM-2 4 string bass in red with white binding. Original EMG Active pickups. Pre-Gibson, Newburgh NY made. Serial number N4089. Excellent condition with light scratches only – looks excellent (as per the photos). Most of these Steinbergers are black or white, this red one really stands out. All original apart from the pickup surrounds, one pot' (correct specification) and knobs (although the Sadowsky-type suit the bass well). Lightweight, rare instrument. 34" scale with string spacing(s) of: 10mm (nut), 15mm (fret-24), 17.5mm (bridge). Hard to price – checking the USA market these seem to go for c. $1250[/color][color=#000000] ..... [b]£SOLD [/b][/color][color=#000000]Don't have a case for this, but it will be well packaged if Couriered. You might be able to find an original case (ebay link) or to use a decent guitar gig-bag (overall length is only 100cm / 39.5")..... SOLD SOLD[/color]

Edited by eubassix

I remember playing one exactly like this at the old Bass Centre in Wapping.

Really liked it at the time and was very close to buying it - eventually settled on a Kubicki because it just 'worked' better for me at the time (even though it was a fair bit more expensive).

I'd love to have another go on one to see if it's as nice as I remember :)

[quote name='eubassix' timestamp='1320137077' post='1422638']
... intriguing Barrie - the first (only other?!) one I recall seeing was in the old 'Bass Cellar' in Denmark St.
[/quote]

Funnily enough because I'd only ever seen one in red I just assumed it was the 'standard' colour, lol.

I'd even been talking about these with Phil at BassGear just the other week and saying that i thought they looked really cool with that white binding.

I seem to remember they were originally made for Mike Rutherford because he wanted a Steinberger but didn't get on with the 'cricket bat' design models.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1320167005' post='1423238']
I seem to remember they were originally made for Mike Rutherford because he wanted a Steinberger but didn't get on with the 'cricket bat' design models.
[/quote]
I think that's correct.
If I remember rightly Roger Giffin designed the body shape.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...