Why become a member? ×

Home Practicing

acidbass

Bass of choice >>> 80w 1x12 (modified damping)

Creative Zen Touch >> Musical Fidelity B200 >> Audiovector 3x (A relatively accurate & flexible stereo with a large yet refined pair of loudspeakers)

The speakers are wired 180degrees out of (absolute) phase, and thus partially cancel the combo's output, This helps reduce the impact on my neighbours.

+1 on The Amazing Slow Downer ... devilishly clever piece of software & great fun to use.

I use a 1977 WEM Dominator with the volume set to '1' until about 9:00pm, then I switch it off. Most of my vintage Hofners are semi-acoustic so I can keep playing if I want.

The Dommie is waaaay more powerful than I need for a practice amp (it'll blow out the windows in most pub venues if you want it to) but I just love it to bits as a piece of kit and it lives under my desk.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='18918' date='Jun 16 2007, 08:30 PM']Bass of choice >>> 80w 1x12 (modified damping)

Creative Zen Touch >> Musical Fidelity B200 >> Audiovector 3x (A relatively accurate & flexible stereo with a large yet refined pair of loudspeakers)

The speakers are wired 180degrees out of (absolute) phase, and thus partially cancel the combo's output, This helps reduce the impact on my neighbours.[/quote]

Have you got the speakers on a switch so you can quickly get back to in phase?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='16934' date='Jun 13 2007, 03:09 PM']what's this ampeg simulator? it's the speeding up/slowing down mp3s that i'd be interested in[/quote]

Check out [url="http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/"]http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/[/url] for a very handy, free, change pitch/speed program.

Ok guys....after a lot of great recommendations, I've went and bought a Korg Pandora PX4B off eBay, it does seem like the swiss army knife of any bassist's kit bag - full report to follow when I receive it I also bought a pair of AKG K55 headphones to go with it, I know these come highly rated on BW too so hopefully they should sort out my home practicing needs for the foreseeable future!

Thanks to everyone who posted for help on the matter! Some good info in this thread :)

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='22298' date='Jun 23 2007, 12:02 PM']Check out [url="http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/"]http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/[/url] for a very handy, free, change pitch/speed program.[/quote]

it would be nice if it could quickly analyse the bpm of the track and then let you set a target bpm... or else you give it the target bpm and it works out what fraction to slow it down by...

I'm going to see how well that windows program runs in Linux using Wine... not sure if it will work though as it uses some CD ripping utility.

oh shoot, I'd try it if half the internet wasn't working... there's scads of US sites down and it's very hit and miss... :)

After I finished with my band rig (Glock HR+Double), I started thinking about a combo for home practice... Fortunately, I'm very happy with my new studio monitors that I bought to use as PC speakers. They're a pair of the discontinued (and amazing) Tascam VL-X5, which Thomann was (and I think still is) blowing out for 200 euro. Then I also bought a 4 channel "Tapco, designed by Mackie" mixer for 55 euro at musicstore.de, so I also have a headphone out whenever needed. It all cost me 250 euro and I'm getting a very clear, hi-fi sound which I find perfect for practice (and isn't too much different from my Glock rig). Of course, the monitors have very little (if anything) going on under 100 hz, so you can't mistake it for a proper bass amp as there is no deep bass, but I boost the bass a little on the mixer and it works fine for me - plus I don't shake the walls when I'm playing, so I can practice without annoying others much. I'm very happy with this stuff and it cost me much less than I was prepared to pay.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='24200' date='Jun 27 2007, 11:14 PM']it would be nice if it could quickly analyse the bpm of the track and then let you set a target bpm... or else you give it the target bpm and it works out what fraction to slow it down by...

I'm going to see how well that windows program runs in Linux using Wine... not sure if it will work though as it uses some CD ripping utility.

oh shoot, I'd try it if half the internet wasn't working... there's scads of US sites down and it's very hit and miss... :)[/quote]

well, it actually works in Linux... well, slowed down playback of CDs... doesn't want to play MP3s or wavs as apparently I haven't got "windows" correctly set up for mp3 playback.

Nice to slow it down... gets a bit distorted below 50% of normal speed...

hey ho... off to find out how to get Wine to support MP3 and wav playback...

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='22298' date='Jun 23 2007, 12:02 PM']Check out [url="http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/"]http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/[/url] for a very handy, free, change pitch/speed program.[/quote]

Brilliant, I had no idea this program existed, just downloaded it and am busy learning YYZ by Rush, thanks a million for this.
I practice with a small Peavey combo, the gig rig is too much for our humble dwelling !

[quote name='Johngh' post='25156' date='Jun 29 2007, 10:18 PM']Brilliant, I had no idea this program existed, just downloaded it and am busy learning YYZ by Rush, thanks a million for this.
I practice with a small Peavey combo, the gig rig is too much for our humble dwelling ![/quote]

ha ha... currently wish I had a gig rig here... some locals are playing Drum&Bass very loudly and I'd love to fight back with some very out of tune and badly fumbled practicing...

I've gone into headphone mode to get away from it. I'm using wireless headphones though, it's difficult enough as it is with one cable to worry about... let alone having another to get caught by the bass as you practice...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='25560' date='Jul 1 2007, 11:45 AM']ampeg did not invent bass amplification![/quote]

True. People really will do anything to sell an overpriced piece of software :)

I use Laney RB2 - I bought it exactly for practising at home, plus Panasonic RP-HG11 headphones.

Then, when I didn't have an amp. ( about half of year) I've been practising acousticly, but it's was probably the worst variant of all - it has to be silent to properly hear the instrument, and the main thing - you can't hear all those "trash" - so I think, acoustic practising is crap.