Why become a member? ×

Help Me decide on a stomp compressor

raze

Ok i have narrowed it down using mr bongos info

The EBS MultiComp (but cant find one i can afford at the moment)

The BBE Opto Stomp ( can get for a good price but never heard of em before reading the reviews)

Aphex punch factory ( good price and would be used with the bass exciter

Ashdown dual band ( not to sure on this one but all ashdown gear ive seen is pretty good )

I need help what do i do has anyone got one or tried em

I've owned and used both the EBS and the Punch Factory. I wasnt keen on the EBS, as it didnt seem to actually do anything, or maybe thats what its supposed to do :)

But the Punch factory I loved. Stayed very transparent, but I found i wasa ble to get it to do what I wanted very quickly. The only thing is, they're prone to breaking !! lol And mine is currently not working.

I've had a

> DHA optical valve compressor (not a compressor as we know it from "on board digital compressors" experience) It does something else.
> Punch Factory - Ok but not as good as:
> Trace Eliott SMX dual band. Used only, the "acoustic" works for bass as well. They go on eBay at about £65 quid. This suited me better 'cos I can compress the bass end a little and leave the delightful ikkle top end notes to soar and fly free like blue birds on the wing

YMMV :)

I've got the Ashdown dual band but I'm not too convinced by it.

It seems to be too easy to overdrive (especially on battery power - a mains PSU is a must) and in my opinion the controls are not too well thought out. Most of the usable sounds are found around the mid points of the hi, lo and mix controls and very slight adjustments make a big difference to the sound so it's quite difficult to adjust and return to a specific setting.

It doesn't have an adjustable crossover point between bands either which some may find limiting.

I'll be looking for an alternative at some point.

Good choice but I'd still try before buying.

It's a good but not very subtle compressor and for the same money (if you can solder) you can have a Monte Allum modded Boss CS3 which is similar but cleaner.

On the other hand you've got the smx fans, which is both good, subtle (IMPO too subtle but I'm a comp junkee) and controllable (and built like no other fx pedal out there).

Then there's the valve comp fans. Noisey but a sound to die for.

Compression is like boobies...any is better than none, but we've all got our favourite flavours!