Why become a member? ×

First gig last night with my Auralex Gramma Pad

tonyf

Brought an Auralex Gramma pad a few weeks ago and did my first gig last night.

Done the same venue a few times before and it made a noticeable difference. Recently migrated from a EBS to a TC Classic450/RS210/RS212 rig and I've gotta admit, the jury was still out after struggling to dial in a sound over the past few gigs.

Last night was so different. Plugged in, a few minor tweaks and bang, lo and behold a tighter, more focused and punchy sound. Loads of bottom end still there but it was so much more defined and controlled.

I'm a happy camper. If you'd had told me how much a difference the Gramma Pad could make, I'd not have believed you. Always been weary of "snake oil" but this is the real deal IMHO. I'd struggle to think of anything sub-£50 which has made such a huge improvement to my sound.

T

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1320604081' post='1428883']
Does this only work if your cabs are on the floor? :)
[/quote]

I wondered that. I always put my combo on a table at a gig, I'm not keen on it playing just to my ankles and lower leg.

My personal favourite in a little venue when you can get to do it is cab on a heavy duty stand up at table height about 6 inches off the back wall.

You get lots of lovely acoustic coupling with the backwall, and the sound of your cab is straight into your lug holes. You can get the cab just behind the drummer (not directly behind but behind where he is sat) he gets to hear you more directly (albeit at an angle) off your cab and that can make a real difference.

Of course if you have um-big stage and um-big monitors (another techincal term) its all irrelevant.

Decoupling with a boomy floor is always "a good thing" though IME.

Edited by 51m0n

I did three gigs back to back at three different venues the other weekend after buying the Great Gramma pad from Mark at Bass Direct. After a bit of tweaking the rig sounded better than it ever had and I didn't have to change any EQ settings for the next two gigs. For £60 it's probably one of the best bits of kit I've bought and will be coming with me to every gig.

I'd been toying with the idea of making one as we seem to be doing more and more gigs for various motorcycle clubs which are almost always in village halls/community centres with big old boomy wooden stages. Went on to Bass Drects website on Friday night and saw Mark was doing the great gramma for £60, ordered one and it's just arrived. Can't wait to use it, next gig is a friends birthday bash in a local community centre with a big wooden stage!

I just got a 4' length of Auralex Platfoam from Studiospares & chopped it in half.
Was gonna glue them onto a bit of board & carpet the top, but thought I'd just slide them under the cab at this coming gig & see how it is. It's a huge wooden box of a stage.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1320600796' post='1428837']
Brought an Auralex Gramma pad a few weeks ago and did my first gig last night.

Done the same venue a few times before and it made a noticeable difference. Recently migrated from a EBS to a TC Classic450/RS210/RS212 rig and I've gotta admit, the jury was still out after struggling to dial in a sound over the past few gigs.

Last night was so different. Plugged in, a few minor tweaks and bang, lo and behold a tighter, more focused and punchy sound. Loads of bottom end still there but it was so much more defined and controlled.

I'm a happy camper. If you'd had told me how much a difference the Gramma Pad could make, I'd not have believed you. Always been weary of "snake oil" but this is the real deal IMHO. I'd struggle to think of anything sub-£50 which has made such a huge improvement to my sound.

T
[/quote]

A lot of us went through this a couple of years ago when someone posted a very cheap deal and we all rushed to get them.
Ive not gigged without mine since.
Like you i had played the same venues a few times without the pad so i could hear the difference straight away.

Ive had the strips but using the full pad made a much bigger difference, could also be down to the foam on the underside of the platform helping keep things in check.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1320604528' post='1428892']
....I've had a problem getting a sound I like with my TC classic 450 and BC 212....
[/quote]
[size=4]Maybe you just don't like TC! But I bet it would sound better with a GRAMMA. [/size]

[size=4]And a GRAMMA would also make an Ashdown sound a lot better.[/size]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1320843688' post='1432128']
[size=4]Maybe you just don't like TC![/size]
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]No-one does.[/size]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1320843688' post='1432128']
[size=4]And a GRAMMA would also make an Ashdown sound a lot better.[/size]
[/quote]

Wouldn't stop it from catching fire, though.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1320604528' post='1428892']
Hmmmm, I've had a problem getting a sound I like with my TC classic 450 and BC 212. So much so that I've considered going back to an Ashdown rig. Maybe I should try a gramma pad?
[/quote]

Worth giving the Gramma Pad a go. If it doesn't pan out, you'll probably find loads of people biting your arm off when you sell it on.

In terms of my RS212 (I know yours is the BC212), I know that on it's own, it's not as immediate in the midrange but it does go lower so I really notice the difference when I use both the RS210 and RS212 together. Sounds obvious really but for me, the 210 does the mids and tops better than the 212 which does the lower mids and bottom much better.

T

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1320860505' post='1432459']
I have the three components in the shed already. MDF, Carpetting, Double dense foam, so im gonna have a go at making my own.
[/quote]

I made my own - one of the best things, £ for £ to improve your live sound.

I have tried to put a link to my two posts on my blog about my homemade Acoustipad
but it locks up. Sorry.

Cheers. :)

Anyone ever had a go at making a wedge shaped one of these, allowing the cab to tilt back a bit so you can hear it better?

I feel a project coming on! :)

Keep your eye on the amps for sale section - expect one LM2, slightly dented where it fell of the cab! :)

Edited by andyonbass