Why become a member? ×

First gig last night with my Auralex Gramma Pad

tonyf

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1321174734' post='1436007']
Anyone ever had a go at making a wedge shaped one of these, allowing the cab to tilt back a bit so you can hear it better?

I feel a project coming on! :)

Keep your eye on the amps for sale section - expect one LM2, slightly dented where it fell of the cab! :)
[/quote]
Velcro? Hook side on bottom of amp. Tolex cab = Furry velcro on top. Carpet cab = Sorted! :)

I used my 2 strips of platfoam on Saturday. Made a big difference. Still a crappy stage that sucks the bass away, but massive improvement on what it was!

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is in the shed awaiting its top carpet affixed. I have made it from a board, one of those (pvc/rubber.polypropalene ?) interlocking garage floor tiles, and some of those sort of rubbery pipe insulation things. will try and remember to take a pic later.

Edited by daz

I have finished my home made job and it appears to work great. Certainly the wardrobe door no longer vibes away in unison. also the bass simply sounds better, deeper, clearer or something. I noticed that straight away. I will have to do some decibell tests on it, but fewer sound vibrations are going through the floor, thats for sure.

Of course i forgot to take a picture of it before i put my heavy cab and amp on top of it. So I will put an [i]end view [/i]diagram below and describe it. First of all the board and thick carpet are pretty standard and the same as the one pictured a few posts above by [i][url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2011/post-775-0-18743600-1323644913.jpg"]Goingdownslow[/url]. [/i]The main difference is the other side from the carpet i glued one of those 1cm thick rubber mats used for putting in the garage to cushion the floor or for working on the car(see pic on right). For the rear I got some of that rubber/neoprene/whatever, pipe lagging from B&Q. The difference was the way I used it. Instead of cutting doughnut shapes out, I cut them lengthways. I bought 2 sizes, so that the larger half could fit inside the smaller half. (see pic on left below) I then glued them on to the underside of the board with no nails and sealant (to make sure), I put one on either edge. the gap in between i noticed was filled in with triangular shaped pices of foam on the Auralex Gramma Pad. So i filled in the gap on mine with single half pieces of smaller pipe lagging, so that they didnt touch the floor, but the gap was filled.

Edited by daz

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought an Auralex Gramma Board, used it for the first time tonight during my bands rehearsal. Made a HUGE diference, we practise in our singers garage on a concrete floor, always struggled to hear my self in this enviroment, well not tonight. Had to play with the eq to get it right but my rig sounded amazing, really defined punch and low end. Cant wait to try it at gigs now!!

Maybe interesting to people wondering how much of a difference these might make...

At a NYE gig where I was doing sound, the speakers were sat straight on the stage, which was contributing a lot to a boomy sound. Ringing out the monitors I found corresponding feedback centred around ~300Hz. Sitting the speakers on 2" thick stiff structural foam pads which we'd brought along 'just in case', gave greater than 6dB extra headroom before feedback. The sound tightened up very noticeably too, to the extent that I had to put some low mids back in having previously cut a broad swathe from ~200-600Hz.

So mechanical decoupling can definitely be worthwhile, and I thought it's nice to have an example where you can roughly quantify the extent.

If the problem is the bottom panel of the speaker cab transmitting energy through the air to a resonant floor, wouldn't it be easier just to brace the bottom panel of the speaker cab (assuming the cab has rubber feet at least)? I can't see how a Gamma pad could possibly make any difference on a concrete floor though.