Why become a member? ×

power leads for amp

beastie

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1321313846' post='1437842']
Thats where you are going wrong. A mere £400
You need these [url="http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20VALHALLA%20Power.htm"]http://www.highendca...LLA%20Power.htm[/url] at £2495 This will make your amp sound better, prevent you from playing wrong notes, and make you irresistable to the opposite sex
[/quote]

. . . and even better when used in conjunction with this £16,114.72 speaker cable .
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2011/02/08/the-most-expensive-cable-in-the-world/

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1321314106' post='1437846']
[i]"The cords are also heavily shielded to block RF interference and other outside noise."[/i]

So does Mr Wooten really believe that shielding the last metre of mains cable into an amp really makes a difference when the couple of hundred miles of mains cable back to the power station is all unshielded?
[/quote]

No he doesn't, all it claims is that he likes purple.

The shortcomings of hundred miles of cable, use of fuses, plug connections involving pieces of metal just touching each other etc common in leads costing £5 - 5,000 is all irrelevant. In amp design (tranny or valve) the mains supply has nothing to do with the sound. After processing through transformers and a host of other components it merely applies a voltage to one side of the components to amplify the signal side. As long as that voltage is correct and stable (neither having anything to do with the mains lead) the important sonic components on the signal side will operate as designed and give you lovely sounds.

If you're taking about signal leads, that's different, and you will (should) hear the difference between a long (>6m) and short (<2m) guitar lead. The long one loses treble - but that's all for another argument.

Edited by 4 Strings

The question which I've often asked audiophiles---and none of them have ever answered---is why high end scientific equipment doesn't come with these fancy conditioned power cables and directional leads and so on.

You can buy oscilloscopes that cost £10k (or more). They're for measuring signals with the utmost accuracy and minimising noise and so on. Why aren't scientists making the most of this awesome power cable technology to improve the accuracy of their signals? Why do pieces of scientific equipment costing into the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of pounds not come with fancy power cables? :)

I'm quite heartened that the vast majority of my BC comrades recognise this ridiculous bullshit for what it is.

'...employ a multiple-conductor cordage design that is said to improve transient response...' my hairy arse.

Wooten may only have chosen the colour but he's damaged his reputation by allowing his name to be associated with that wretched bollocks.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1321377032' post='1438452']
Wooten may only have chosen the colour but he's damaged his reputation by allowing his name to be associated with that wretched bollocks.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's the way I read it. He either actually believes this stuff or he's happy to help rip people off. Not too great either way.

[/quote]

Thats my take on it too.

I've always wondered how the scientists/engineers who work on this kind of thing feel about it. Do they really believe their own press releases?

You won't find them at the BBC either.

To give our Victor the benefit of doubt (after seeing him at the Hartke event last year when he came across as an honest, good bloke and incredible musician) he may have been contacted by a 'high end electrical components' firm who make highest quality stuff and offered him a lifetime supply of mains cable made to the highest specifications if he'd let them know what colour he wants. Would they be allowed to quote that he chose that colour?

Yes.

Otherwise he's lost a bit of credibility with me too.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1321380796' post='1438522']
[url="http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20Power%20Cords.htm"]http://www.highendca...wer%20Cords.htm[/url]

1.25m £8,495
2.5m £12,625
5m £20,495

[b][size=5]FREE P& P [/size][/b]
Money for old rope
[/quote]

"Let Odin feed your system and get ready for improved noise floor and resolution, increased transparency, dynamic range and freedom from grain, more believable sound staging, more natural life and musical dynamics, a breathtaking range of tonal colours. Suddenly the music will step away from the system producing it, taking on a life of its own, becoming a real performance – all because the power on which your system depends is cleaner and arriving quicker"

Arriving QUICKER? Wow, that is an achievement. Surely this means that is we all had them we'd empty the power station before it could fill up again!

:) :) :)
You couldn't make it up make it up . . . . er, except they do. Right out of thin air.

Still, Odin is a good name - it's all mythology after all. I bet they're ROTFLTAO everytime they get an order.

Harry Enfield could have made it into a sketch . . . .

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvcD4Czx4Y[/media]

[/quote]

That and the terrible racket he makes with his bass. :)

(Takes armoured lift down to underground nuclear bunker, gets into lead-lined steel coffin and folds arms across chest like Dracula).

I just want to put the record straight on these hi-tech "kettle" leads. I too was dubious about the claims being made, but having just spent just over £200 on one I can honestly say I was immediately blown away with the improvement......my tea just tastes soo much better, fuller flavour and much more transparent.

Just putting my coat on now........

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1321404053' post='1438860']
I just want to put the record straight on these hi-tech "kettle" leads. I too was dubious about the claims being made, but having just spent just over £200 on one I can honestly say I was immediately blown away with the improvement......my tea just tastes soo much better, fuller flavour and much more transparent.

Just putting my coat on now........
[/quote]

No, no, take it off and welcome, have a bun with it. Toasted to perfection by ....

• 3 weeks later...

Well after laughing at some off the comments on here (falling off my chair more than once ) i am come to the conclusion in the live set up a super keetle lead is best for making the tea as us old gits need that caffine boost perhaps it might boost the caffine in the tea electrically stimulating the tea into making it feel better in the cup thanks for all your replies i have decided to put the money to my gb fund to replace the one i had to sell because off the ex she witch (sorry still annoyes me )
thanks again everyone keep up the good work
Gary :)