Why become a member? ×

Innovation string for jazz and arco?

endorka

Great to see this thread still going :-)

And despite the passing of many moons, I've still not sorted out the string question.

I'm trying to sort out various sounds in my head... so which set of Innovation strings would you say comes closest to this sound - Danny Thompson on David Sylvian's "The Ink In The Well?"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9LWfVjXXAU&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL177B4C158F55B555[/media]

Cheers!

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.....

My first thought would be either the silver slaps or super silvers - though from the lovely woodiness in the sound i would guess that spending £20K or £30K on a bass is probably going to help too! ;-)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Daf

Edited by daflewis

Cheers Daf, I like it - £20K on the bass and a bunch of priceless talent from Mr. Thompson, but apart from that... :-)

From what I recall from my student's bass tone the Silver Slaps would be good for this style, as you recommend. I don't think they were great for bowing, but what I do recall is that I thought "wow!" when playing them pizzicato, and that's a rare and great feeling to get from spending £80 or so on a set of strings.

How do the Silver Slaps compare with the Super Silvers?

Jennifer

Ah yes... Talent - yeh, I guess that would help too... ;)

Bowing on the silver slaps - no, I must be said that's not exactly their strongest point! - a bit squeaky and reedy.... It can be done, especially if it's just the odd final note, but I certainly wouldn't want to try a concerto on them. (not that I'm likely to be doing that anytime soon! :rolleyes: )

As for the difference between silver slaps and super silvers; well the supers are higher tension (with the proportional increase in volume and body that would go with that)

I should also mention the psycho slaps, which are a similar tension to the supers but are thicker, though I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the sound of the psychos so I'm not sure how that differs from the supers....

Edited by daflewis

• 5 weeks later...

Just a quick update:

I now have the Innovation Silver Slaps on my acoustic double bass and NS Design WAV electric double bass, and they are sounding excellent, just as promised. Great fun to play as well :-)

As some dimensions of the EUB are slightly different to an acoustic double bass, strings with a different length of silk wrapping at the nut end were required. Daf sorted this out with the suppliers, and the resulting strings fitted perfectly.

Over the last few weeks I've used the EUB on several important concerts, and am really pleased with these strings. While they are not quite as easy to bow as orchestral strings, I'm getting used to them, and after playing them for a while don't really notice anymore.

Because they have more sustain than orchestral strings, the open strings tended to ring out a bit when playing amplified with the bow, but wrapping a hairband around the strings between the first "fret" and the nut really helped with this. I can push the hairband back over the nut to bring the instrument back to its normal state for pizzicato playing.

Thanks again to Daf for helping me with this, much appreciated!

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' timestamp='1332789529' post='1593187']
Great to see this thread still going :-)

And despite the passing of many moons, I've still not sorted out the string question.

I'm trying to sort out various sounds in my head... so which set of Innovation strings would you say comes closest to this sound - Danny Thompson on David Sylvian's "The Ink In The Well?"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9LWfVjXXAU&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL177B4C158F55B555[/media]

Cheers!

Jennifer
[/quote]

really like this. did the silver slaps approximate the tone Jen?

• 7 months later...

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1335697414' post='1634629']
really like this. did the silver slaps approximate the tone Jen?
[/quote]

Not completely, but they are in the ballpark. The Silver Slaps are not as growly / rattly as this, but with a lower action on my bass and some careful EQ they would be closer to it.

By the way, I'm still loving the Silver Slaps. I've just done another Horse tour with them and I like them even more. I had the opportunity to hear someone else play my EUB fitted with them at a soundcheck, and they sounded marvellous. Several other bass players in the audience commented on the quality of the sound.

Highly recommended.

Jennifer