Why become a member? ×

Reputation system

Hamster

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1321399364' post='1438817']
My POV is that I can't tell you exactly what the problem is because we have sorted out any known issues our end and the ones left we are doing our best to fix. Ben has just started his own company and is quite busy with that, I just got promoted at work and I'm quite busy with that too. My business partner Steve is on the other side of the world so communicating isn't easy. I can't afford the cost of calling in someone else to help and even if I could I wouldn't have the technical know how to even begin to use him or her productively. I haven't got any IT knowledge myself. Any problems left are down to the company who makes the software or the users, both of which mean my hands are tied.

I would say that despite all that, we have managed to make the transition as smooth as anyone could expect. In between phone calls, meetings, tax returns, merchendising nightmares and countless admin tasks and an actual career it really is actually a miracle you still have us to complain about.

I really do appreciate how frustrating it must be for you, especially as it seems you are an isolated case, and I'll do my best to sort it out. Don't think I'm ignoring any request or problem, however small.

That's my POV.

ped
[/quote]

Fair enough, like I said, i wasn't complaining, simply letting you know how it is to use for me.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1321399283' post='1438816']
:) I've tried Michael. Now I'll take it as i see it; for me it works with 75% functionality 25% of the time. I fed this back via the relevant threads at the time and apologise for doing so again above. My reason for posting here (opportunistically I'll admit) was that I got the feeling reading the thread that whilst efforts are being made to add what I consider to be non-core functionality to the site, I still don't even the basics! I doubt anyone will miss my dubious wisdom anyway :)
[/quote]
That's just the thing - Ped & Co. don't really have any direct influence on what goes into the patch. The forum provider will release a patch / update that addresses bugs and functionality improvements based on feedback from the user base (broadly speaking). They might be aware of whatever is causing the problems you're experiencing, and the patch might sort it. or, they might not.

All Ped & Co. can do is feed back these issues to the developer, with as much background info as possible, but I still wouldn't discount a local issue at your end.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1321399637' post='1438821']
That's just the thing - Ped & Co. don't really have any direct influence on what goes into the patch. The forum provider will release a patch / update that addresses bugs and functionality improvements based on feedback from the user base (broadly speaking). They might be aware of whatever is causing the problems you're experiencing, and the patch might sort it. or, they might not.

All Ped & Co. can do is feed back these issues to the developer, with as much background info as possible.
[/quote]

I know nothing about IT mate, I just know the site is pretty crap for me now. No blame, simply how it is for me. I can't imagine it's only me either (unless of course Ped ordered a Beedster filter with the upgrade - understandable perhaps?)
C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1321399859' post='1438828']
I know nothing about IT mate, I just know the site is pretty crap for me now. No blame, simply how it is for me. I can't imagine it's only me either (unless of course Ped ordered a Beedster filter with the upgrade - understandable perhaps?)
C
[/quote]
Well, i just gave you an idea of what's involved - hopefully can now appreciate that it's not just a case of ticking a box or flicking a switch to make it work.

It would be nice, but it's not how it works. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1321400015' post='1438833']
Well, i just gave you an idea of what's involved - hopefully can now appreciate that it's not just a case of ticking a box or flicking a switch to make it work.

It would be nice, but it's not how it works. :)
[/quote]

Cheers mate
C

I suggest there may be some value in bringing Ben in respond to these issues directly. Ped's essentially been acting the client on this upgrade rather than the technician and we all thought this would be a lot more straight forward than it has been. So we're all in the same boat to some degree although at the moment Ped's getting it in the neck as if he has more technical knowledge than he has. We're all interested in a smoother running forum and its frustrating that these matters haven't been resolved yet.

More specifically Chris, its difficult for anyone to be 100% about what the causes of your problems are given the issues are so inconsistent between members. It may be worth Ben speaking with you directly and clarifying exactly what your set up is and how it might interact with the forum.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1321398850' post='1438812']
It's an off-the-shelf application, so assuming the hosting isn't an issue (which it doesn't seem to be, 'cos it's OK for some) all Ped & Co. can do is wait for an update to be released.
[/quote]Yes and no. Invision (the software of the forum) is kind of like buying a Fender, it's highly flexible and modifiable but it does take someone who knows what they are doing. And just like with fenders most of the "experts" really haven't much of a clue. So finding the right person and paying them can be more effort than it's worth.

Often these problems will be shared by someone else out there and an hour spent googling the problem can sometimes lead to a solution. If it really is something broken in the software and a bug fix is coming there should be a ton of threads out there discussing it. If not we can assume it's a problem unique to BC and waiting for a software upgrade may be dissapointing.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' timestamp='1321405747' post='1438865']
Yes and no. Invision (the software of the forum) is kind of like buying a Fender, it's highly flexible and modifiable but it does take someone who knows what they are doing. And just like with fenders most of the "experts" really haven't much of a clue. [b]So finding the right person and paying them can be more effort than it's worth.[/b]

Often these problems will be shared by someone else out there and an hour spent googling the problem can sometimes lead to a solution. If it really is something broken in the software and a bug fix is coming there should be a ton of threads out there discussing it. If not we can assume it's a problem unique to BC and waiting for a software upgrade may be dissapointing.
[/quote]
I am SO going to neg your post because of that.

I hardly think an hour on google by someone who doesn't really know what they're after will solve anything. You wouldn't really advise anyone with no experience messing about in a car to go on google to learn how to rebuild an engine, though looking through google results might be useful if you're a mechanic and you're just not familiar with that model. In this particular case, expertise in the matter will allow you to know what you're looking for (because the problem might not even be with the software per se - I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was in the mysql db and a botched upgrade from v2).

[quote name='setekh' timestamp='1321413589' post='1438882']
I am SO going to neg your post because of that.
[/quote] :)

I'm not suggesting Ped do it as he's said it's not his thing, though he could find if others are having the same problem and pass it on to his guy. I do this with a lot of my tech problems and a lot of times the solution is handed to me.

I agree it could easily be a DB or upgrade issue, that may get sorted in an upgrade if the upgrade resets whatever is wrong now.

I would tend to doubt that Beedsters symptoms were related to a mySQL database. Problems with any kind of database tend to be consistent. The only scenario I could see that being the case is if Beeds problems are coming all at similar times of day which happen to coincide with a hefty SQLjob that is running.

The site seems fine for me, but it certainly IS slow to load quite often. I like the interface now and can't really remember what it looked like before.

But the value of a forum is contained within its users and how they are moderated. A fast, useable and well designed interface is all that's necessary.

The site works totally fine for me Ped (and other admins). Took me a while to get used to the new format, but it's hardly rocket science, and now I'm used to it I think it's pretty functional overall... nice job.

The points system is kind of neither here nor there. I do think that some might use it to pursue vendettas though and maybe tip the balance of reasoned debate the wrong way - just because one opinion is less popular doesn't make it less valid etc. Equally it might make people think a bit more about what they post before they post it, and that's got to be a good thing on a communal forum. Time will tell I suppose!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1321628721' post='1441422']
The points system is kind of neither here nor there. I do think that some might use it to pursue vendettas though and maybe tip the balance of reasoned debate the wrong way - just because one opinion is less popular doesn't make it less valid etc. Equally it might make people think a bit more about what they post before they post it, and that's got to be a good thing on a communal forum. Time will tell I suppose!
[/quote]While I can definitely see the positive sides it does steer the forum to one that favors less discourse and more tribalism overall. The only people who I think will worry about making posts are the ones with reason, those without will still post as they feel. To me it's a tool for the lowest common denominator to exert their influence without having to be able to illustrate their opinions. I feel if you have a disagreement you should be able to state your case and stand by it and not just simply click a button that will have the same value as a reasoned argument. I think it will soon be a popularity contest with certain groups always liking posts in their group to show how much better they are regardless of the content.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' timestamp='1321656647' post='1441821']
While I can definitely see the positive sides it does steer the forum to one that favors less discourse and more tribalism overall. The only people who I think will worry about making posts are the ones with reason, those without will still post as they feel. To me it's a tool for the lowest common denominator to exert their influence without having to be able to illustrate their opinions. I feel if you have a disagreement you should be able to state your case and stand by it and not just simply click a button that will have the same value as a reasoned argument. I think it will soon be a popularity contest with certain groups always liking posts in their group to show how much better they are regardless of the content.
[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree, I think one of the big reasons I enjoy this site so much is that discourse can take place on contentious issues and most can hold back from loosing it completely with the opposing side. This ain't Talkbass, I've seen a big amount of clique-like behaviour and a tendency to rubbish anything that isn't flavour of the month anymore (from some), and I just don't think that happens as much over here, we seem to be very self-contained and reasoned people.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1321722078' post='1442443']
On the earlier 'like' only system there was a notification if you got 'liked'. With this later and present system there are no notifications of who 'liked' your post or who 'negged' it.
[/quote]

That is why I would voted against the new rep system...
If you object to a post...then post that and give a counter view... not hide behind a point scoring system.

It doesn't do much to prolong a thread either..as you haven't got anything to respond to.
In a few cases that might avoid a few flames and help out some Moderation, but on balance, I think it isn't working for me..

My "Like" number appears to be in freefall. I've had three negs today & I've hardly posted!

Is there any way of jumping to the posts that have been negged, as I haven't a clue which ones they are & I'm curious, but not curious enough to trawl through every post I've ever made looking for the offending ones.