Why become a member? ×

Reputation system

Hamster

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1321263365' post='1436960']
Agreed. I thought BC was supposed to be a discussion forum not some sort of multiple-choice survey.[/quote]

Replies typically follow the following response anyway:

a ) agree
b ) disagree (based on a set of assumptions that are either valid or invalid)
c ) need more context
d ) don't give a sh*t

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321204785' post='1436413']
Great, now someone has 'Negged' my post #5. :)

[/quote]

Yeah, that was me, sorry, just negging your neg to make it a positive.

I've 'liked' some of your other posts so you're still ahead. Can we still be friends?

I don't think anyone's going to take it very seriously going by the comments so far.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1321263487' post='1436962']
Replies typically follow the following response anyway:

a ) agree
b ) disagree (based on a set of assumptions that are either valid or invalid)
c ) need more context
d ) don't give a sh*t
[/quote]

And I've learnt a lot from all types of reply, more than I could have learned from a number. Long live the written reply :)

[quote name='MrRatty' timestamp='1321264639' post='1436973']
And I've learnt a lot from all types of reply, more than I could have learned from a number. Long live the written reply :)
[/quote]

I agree... I don't think many will use it as a substitute for a proper reply but I have just said I don't like the rep system so far. I think we'll open a poll so you can all vote at some point soon and let you choose.

I can't really see the point of the Negative button. It does not add anything to the forum and could put people off from posting. I know if I kept getting negative points for example posting about Alonso then I would soon think, sod this and stop posting. I don't think its a healthy way to keep a forum active. I think the Positive button is good move but I would just remove the Negative button.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1321267698' post='1437012']
There are a handful of quite aggressive and highly opinionated posters who form the basis of most of the controversial threads.

I see this as a good way to express displeasure with their posts without getting dragged into an argument.
[/quote]

I disagree with this

:)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321204785' post='1436413']
Great, now someone has 'Negged' my post #5. :)

Working well already this, don't you think?
Not likely to have any effect on what people post or anything, is it?

If it's going to be like evilBay's feedback system where one is in constant fear of being negged by idiots then I'm out.
[/quote]

This!!! So not only am I saying "+ a big one" - but I'm doing a ^ so as to balance up the -.
Not only is it wide open to abuse & sometimes (as I've been often told) the mods aren't always around to read every post of every thread. It also appears to be an overall "dumbing down" of the forum.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1321267698' post='1437012']
I see this as a good way to express displeasure with their posts without getting dragged into an argument.
[/quote]
True. And for most of us a neg post would be cause for concern to a lesser or greater degree. We would pause and reflect.

For a tiny but disproportionately destabilising minority, it might be a badge of honour. Let us ask ourselves this. Love his posts though I did, would tBBC have let a few hundred negs deter him?

'Like' is a good thing and enables members to express an uncontroversial approbation of a point or the way in which it is made. While 'Dislike' may have many other benefits it seems a problematically opaque platform upon which to base a forum self-policing policy.
Give me an old-fashioned Mod any day. They'd give you a clip round the ear and send you home to your mum. ([i]Wanders off singing: "Boiled Beeef and Carrots, doing the Lambeth Walk![/i] )

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1321270910' post='1437065']
True. And for most of us a neg post would be cause for concern to a lesser or greater degree.

For a tiny but disproportionately destabilising minority, it might be a badge of honour. Let us ask ourselves this. Love his posts though I did, would tBBC have let a few hundred negs deter him?

'Like' is a good thing and enables members to express an uncontroversial approbation of a point or the way in which it is made. But 'Dislike' seems a problematically opaque platform upon which to base a forum self-policing policy.

Give me an old-fashioned Mod any day. They'd give you a clip round the ear and send you home to your mum. ([i]Wanders off singing: "Boiled Beeef and Carrots, doing the Lambeth Walk![/i] )
[/quote]

Has anyone ever told you before that you might be a little mad in a totally healthy way? :)

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1321271399' post='1437072']
Great - now my paranoia means that I have to comeback to check all my previous posts every 5 minutes just in case someone has added a neg vote - DAMN YOU !!!

:)
[/quote]

HAHAHA I have already done that in the F1 2011 thread :)

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1321271477' post='1437073']
HAHAHA I have already done that in the F1 2011 thread :)
[/quote]
Thankfully I think most of the regulars in the F1 thread will be able to resist negging out of pettiness.

I'm not as hopeful for such a well balanced response outside of that thread though. :)

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1321264788' post='1436975']
I agree... I don't think many will use it as a substitute for a proper reply but I have just said I don't like the rep system so far. I think we'll open a poll so you can all vote at some point soon and let you choose.
[/quote]

See? If you had a 'like' button I would have pressed it! :)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1321270666' post='1437061']
Not only is it wide open to abuse & sometimes (as I've been often told) the mods aren't always around to read every post of every thread. It also appears to be an overall "dumbing down" of the forum.
[/quote]

This. BC was one of the places I liked to visit to escape from the creepy, judgemental, mob-driven box-ticking culture that seems to be taking over the world. Now it is not. Also I note that Mods and Admin are still exempt from the system. Animal Farm, anyone?