Why become a member? ×

Reputation system

Hamster

I've been following this thread with interest and curiosity, as a newbie. My tuppence is that I don't mind the presence of a Like button (got used to the ubiquitous one on Facebook, and it does save saying 'me too' or 'hear hear' too many times). However, I find the dislike/neg voting system a bit dodgy and would happily do without it, for the reasons stated by previous posters on this thread and because, honestly, it's more than a little childish in my view.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321274272' post='1437123']
Where are my mint jujubes? :)[/quote]
[size=3][font=courier new, courier, monospace]................................................................[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new, courier, monospace]Your Menthol Jujubes were dispatched from our Cleethorpes warehouse at 00:51 GMT on 13-11-2011[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new, courier, monospace]Please quote order # 2112-0031 when contacting our customer service department[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=courier new, courier, monospace]................................................................[/font][/size]

I think we should have a poll to agree nomenclature. Here's my 2c.[list]
[*]Neged
[*]Neg-ed
[*]Negged
[*]Fracked
[/list]
Edit:[quote name='charic' timestamp='1321275964' post='1437151']
Actually another interesting thought, should new people be allowed to + or - until they have posted a certain amount of posts?
[/quote]

Good point. Any old Tom, Dick or Barry could turn up and destroy a lifetime's labour in just a few minutes.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1321275964' post='1437151']
Actually another interesting thought, should new people be allowed to + or - until they have posted a certain amount of posts?
[/quote]

Hm, why have a two-tier membership? I suppose you're entitled to have and express an opinion whether you've been a member for a month or several years, and if you're a dickhead, it probably doesn't make any difference to your behaviour how long you've been posting on the forum.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1321276221' post='1437159']
Hm, why have a two-tier membership? I suppose you're entitled to have and express an opinion whether you've been a member for a month or several years, and if you're a dickhead, it probably doesn't make any difference to your behaviour how long you've been posting on the forum.
[/quote]

I think he has a point though as it could eliminate multiple screen identities being created in order to fuel a neg campaign on some poor schmuck. Admittedly it's only ever likely to happen once or twice. There is already a strong case for a "two-tier" system in the FS sections (where large amounts of money are at stake) so the practice wouldn't be quite as elitist as it may at first seem.

I liked your earlier post btw. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1321276221' post='1437159']
[/quote]

I can just see it being a way of becoming an anonymous troll tbh

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1321276611' post='1437169']
I think he has a point though as it could eliminate multiple screen identities being created in order to fuel a neg campaign on some poor schmuck. Admittedly it's only ever likely to happen once or twice.

I liked you earlier post btw. :)
[/quote]

Shouldn't it be possible for the mods/admins to detect multiple identities almost automatically, through their (common) IP address? (not an expert here, so I may be wrong).

Thank you for liking my post! If the system becomes permanent in its present format, I think I may end up liking other people's posts out of politeness as well as agreement, and then I'd become the official forum luvvie, mwah mwah dahlings :) :) :o

Edited for grammar and typos. Sigh.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1321277024' post='1437177']
Shouldn't it be possible for the mods/admins to detect multiple identities almost automatically, through their (common) IP address? (not an expert here, so I may be wrong).

...[/quote]
Nope you are right enough. It has happened before, however I'm not sure if the detection system was automatic or if it needed the crafty intervention of the forum elves. That was on the old forum's software, maybe this new software can do it.. I don't know.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1321275730' post='1437145']
Not to disappoint I thought I would start with that post B)

Maybe you should start calling him he who cannot be named in a Harry Potter stylie :) :)

After the Linus' post I considered doing a search for Alonso :) :o

As long as it is all done in good humour and not taken as some sort of gospel on someones character.

although I reckon it should stay out of OT and keep it to valid information in the on topic parts of the site. So if someone constantly gives out wrong info you know not to listen to them because of the negs but the one with loads of likes.

But I can see this becoming interesting for the Mods. I would expect a lot of "He neged me blub blub" or people neging just because they think Labour should be in power etc etc.
[/quote]

HAHA Well I did go and double check :o

My nickname at work is Harry Potter so it would fit me doing that :lol:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1321276129' post='1437157']
I think we should have a poll to agree nomenclature.
[/quote]

I vote for 'Negged'.
May I also pre-emptively vote for 'Negstorm'? Thanks.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1321276129' post='1437157']
Any old Tom, Dick or Barry could turn up and destroy a lifetime's labour in just a few minutes.
[/quote]

That's always been the case, on BC and everywhere else! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1321277593' post='1437185']
Nope you are right enough. It has happened before, however I'm not sure if the detection system was automatic or if it needed the crafty intervention of the forum elves. That was on the old forum's software, maybe this new software can do it.. I don't know.
[/quote]

Being a mod is a thankless task and a very difficult job. Ideally, there should always be at least one mod reading all the posts on the sections assigned to his/her supervision. That may not be feasible, especially if all the mods live in the same country and time zone.

Obviously, the trusted veterans of a forum can help by emailing or PMing the mods in case of trouble, and they are the most reliable defence system! Also, I may be wrong, but i thought it is possible to compile a list of words that the software will flag automatically if posted - not just swearwords, but also non-sweary insults in phrase form, for instance. That would probably help a little in the detection and eviction of double identities and trolls.

Things is though, what does like/dislike or pos/neg actually mean?

If it's a behavioural sort of thing related to abusive and rude posts then I can see it might have some value, but if it's an agreement/disagreement type thing then surely it's rather pointless.

Suppose someone posted something saying that Fender make the best bass guitars and 1,000 people posted negative feedback because they disagreed? So the OP picks up a huge negative reputation because of a perfectly reasonable opinion, which they are highly unlikely to change.

OTOH, another poster might be rude and abusive and also pick up 1,000 negative posts. which might, perhaps, make them consider their behaviour (unless they consider it a badge of honour and simply encourage them to achieve a record score for 'trolling').

But the thing that makes a simple neg/pos thing of little value is that we can never know the reasoning behind the rating, unless the voter describes their reasons in a post, in which case the like/dislike vote is superfluous anyway.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1321280746' post='1437245']
with about 4 times as many likes as anyone else :)[/quote]
Thereby demonstrating the inherent flaw in the system. :)

Given no more than a minute, I could name 20 people who are of greater benefit to our community. And so could everyone else.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1321280849' post='1437248']
Things is though, what does like/dislike or pos/neg actually mean?

If it's a behavioural sort of thing related to abusive and rude posts then I can see it might have some value, but if it's an agreement/disagreement type thing then surely it's rather pointless.

Suppose someone posted something saying that Fender make the best bass guitars and 1,000 people posted negative feedback because they disagreed? So the OP picks up a huge negative reputation because of a perfectly reasonable opinion, which they are highly unlikely to change.

OTOH, another poster might be rude and abusive and also pick up 1,000 negative posts. which might, perhaps, make them consider their behaviour (unless they consider it a badge of honour and simply encourage them to achieve a record score for 'trolling').

But the thing that makes a simple neg/pos thing of little value is that we can never know the reasoning behind the rating, unless the voter describes their reasons in a post, in which case the like/dislike vote is superfluous anyway.
[/quote]

Flyfisher makes perfect sense. I hereby choose to state my approval of and support for his post in written form and without using the positive button. (Not being sarcastic here, just lighthearted!) :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1321281342' post='1437256']
Thereby demonstrating the inherent flaw in the system. :)

Given no more than a minute, I could name 20 people who are of greater benefit to our community. And so could everyone else.
[/quote]

Name [i]me[/i] and I'll give you a 'like'.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1321281507' post='1437260']
Flyfisher makes perfect sense. I hereby choose to state my approval of and support for his post in written form and without using the positive button. (Not being sarcastic here, just lighthearted!) :)
[/quote]

I on the other hand can not support anyone who fails to agree that he who cannot be named is the best current F1 driver on the grid and will therefore do nothing :)