Why become a member? ×

Reputation system

Hamster

As many will have noticed with this new forum we have had a 'like' system where we can , .......errr, 'like' another person's post/comment/witty remark/helpful advice etc.

In order that we have a more balanced reputation system, I've pulled the giant lever on the server so we can now 'dislike' another's post if they are rude/insulting/stupid etc

Moderators and admins have the ability to monitor the system if necessary.

I've seen systems like this before and all they serve to do is reinforce cliques. The site that springs to mind has recently moved to a "like only" type setup. People on there used to have competitions to see how -ve they could make someone, for fun.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1321200535' post='1436346']
I've seen systems like this before and all they serve to do is reinforce cliques. The site that springs to mind has recently moved to a "like only" type setup. People on there used to have competitions to see how -ve they could make someone, for fun.
[/quote]

I'm aware of the pack mentality, which is why the system can be openly monitored by mods & admins in case anyone is tempted to do that here.

On the one other board that I post on that has a "like" system, it has worked very well, in that anyone with a negative score can be dismissed as a know-nothing troll, and they generally either sort out their act and behave nicely or stop posting altogether.

However it does rely on the fact that a person's "like" score is displayed under their avatar so everyone can easily see it.

Of course just because it works well somewhere else doesn't mean that it will work here...

Great, now someone has 'Negged' my post #5. :)

Working well already this, don't you think?
Not likely to have any effect on what people post or anything, is it?

If it's going to be like evilBay's feedback system where one is in constant fear of being negged by idiots then I'm out.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321204785' post='1436413']

Working well already this, don't you think?
Not likely to have any effect on what people post or anything, is it?

If it's going to be like evilBay's feedback system where one is in constant fear of being negged by idiots then I'm out.
[/quote]
Negative for that one too.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]As long as the mods can sift out the vindictive, unreasonable and immature "dislikes". Maybe the mods have given themselves a bigger job than they really needed.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321204785' post='1436413']
[/quote]
Oh no! I was just trying it out and I've added a neg. :) I'll go and find some other stuff you've posted and give you two likes.

Edit for: and a bag of mint jujubes.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1321205441' post='1436435']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]As long as the mods can sift out the vindictive, unreasonable and immature "dislikes". Maybe the mods have given themselves a bigger job than they really needed.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Good point!

Turn it off. Turn it off now please!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1321203548' post='1436384']
On the one other board that I post on that has a "like" system, it has worked very well, in that anyone with a negative score can be dismissed as a know-nothing troll, and they generally either sort out their act and behave nicely or stop posting altogether.

However it does rely on the fact that a person's "like" score is displayed under their avatar so everyone can easily see it.

Of course just because it works well somewhere else doesn't mean that it will work here...
[/quote]

Reputation points are shown on people's profiles.

It is hoped that this will rein in some of the confrontational and obnoxious posters who get personal in Off Topic - rather than get rid of Off Topic all together - which has been considered many many times.