Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass or EBS??

Leemarc Ferguson

I have both and to me they are both different, I can't comment on the entire range of both brands as I have not owned or tried all of them but this is my experience on the MarkBass 121H combo and the EBS Classic Session 60 which I own both off.

The MarkBass is very clean, very punchy and works great flat apart from the low mids being turned down a touch. Nice and light and also has the ability to tune any tone you want. It is a very clean sound though. Only short coming is no mute button.

The EBS Classis Session 60 I have only had for a week but I am mighty impressed. Very very loud for a 60 watt combo and has some great features like filters and character button to shape and change your tune. Tonally its a bit darker and more vintage sounding than the MarkBass and sounds great with a Precision. Really fills the room with low tight bottom end.

Probably not a good indication of the entire EBS and MarkBass range but it might give you food for thought.

You probably can't go wrong with either really. I suppose if weight is a factor then Markbass would probably have an edge.

I don't care that much about weight and play with EBS head. No other reason than I played one and liked it. EBS stuff has a reputation for being good for a clean hifi sound, though its not really what I use mine for.

Edited by thodrik

Markbass for me every time! Versatile and simple to get a great tone!

The EBS stuff's undoubtedly brilliant, just wasn't a fan of the EQ, more complicated and a little less musical in my opinion.

Comparison made between a Mark Bass Little Tube through a Epifani 2x10 and an EBS Fafner through EBS 4x10 + 1x15 cabs. Both in Live situations.

Edited by JakeFoordBass

Ummm, complicated question in my view.

I've owned both and generally prefer MarkBass because I've found EBS to be too clean & almost 'clinical' sounding at times. Can sound great on first hearing (like when tested in a showroom environment) but potentialIy 'wearing' after extended listening. I always think of EBS gear as being for a hi-fi slapper's tone whereas I think MarkBass has more tonal versatility.

However, not all MB cabs sound great & a lot of people use MB heads but other brand cabs. Having said that, I've heard a lot of people with full Mb rigs that sounded really good in a live gigging situation.

Of course, as other people have already said, you really have to try them out - for a lot of people EBS represents sonic nirvana and you might just be one of them :)

The EBS Classic Session 60 that Linus27 has received great reviews when it came out. Other than that, I`ve no experience of their gear.

Markbass - well virtually every time I go to a pub, and think that the bassist in the band has a really good tone - in the mix - said bassist is using a little Markbass combo. I`ve only ever used one briefly myself, and wasn`t too keen on the sound on it`s own, but another thing I`ve found is that bass sounds I don`t like on their own seem to work very well in the mix.

Now, I am the opposite.... I loan a MB 102 combo or used to and the sound is great at low volumes..and perfect for rehearsals and a easy carry, but it doesn't get loud very well.
The sound seems to fracture and not hold itself togther. In other words..the sound I dialed in at a decent volume just goes when you have to turn up so I stopped using them on this basis..

And every guy I hear on a gig with a little MB combo at a decent volume, the sounds doesn't hold out front either. Obviously, that guy can't really hear that from where he is, but I've found that a lot with their 15 and 12's particuarly.

It is a dull old thump..IMO. No guts or projection..just plain DULL..!!

So my point...the stuff is fine or even very good..UNTIl..you have to ask it to really work. But to be fair...this is also a question a lot of amps struggle with...
it is just that I see MB stuff round here doing that.

I would expect EBS's better amps and offerings to outclass it at a decent stage level...and if it didn't, I be looking elsewhere, for sure.

Just my take on MB.. good but no cigar, IMV.

• 2 years later...

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]I always get compliments on my sound with my Little Mark III with an Avatar 4x10 loaded with original Eminence Custom Deltalite Neo's and a 15' Bag End. I love the rig and is very dependable on the road. I like the EBS but can't say all the bells and whistles would make me switch.[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3](I use a classic SVT full stack when we play festivals or shows with equipment riders but I'd never try to carry one on the road....heavy and way to hard to maintain the head). Currently I have an Ampeg PF-500 with a Portaflex 15 as a backup, my own SVT (that I never move!) , an old Trace Elliot head and 2x10 cab, and a GK 400RB........but aside from the SVT, nothing works better than the markbass setup. It's so simple and brings out the unique sound of each of my basses.....I run it mostly flat with an occasional low end tweak for the room. [/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3](I'm a gear junkie and I've had most of the 'boutique' bass heads and cabs.........the Avatar really kicks everthings butt with those original Eminence Neo's)[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]PS- can't stand the markbass cabs or combos.......[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]One last comment......most tone is in the hands![/size][/font]

Edited by rpcy

I would do as stated above, Try both first. I've been stuck with EBS for a while now based on what I was looking for out of an amp head. Which I'm now using the EBS Reidmar 250. I was looking for a head that could give me and produce the same tones live as well as in my homestudio. Being aggressive, clean, growly, and clean compressed bottom end with mids being present. The EBS, does just that. I play out from time to time, but I'm mainly a Gospel Bass Player and Composer. This head suits me well along with my Epifani 2x10's and 1x12 cabinets. I also would mention, you should always have in mind of what you desire from a hearing stand point and that's what your looking for out of an amp. That is what that certain amp should be able to give you.

• 2 weeks later...

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Unlikely, he didn't stick around very long and was last active: [color=#5A5A5A]Nov 18 2011 11:28 PM[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I swapped my Markbass JB combo for a EBS HD350 + Neo212 cab - didn't miss the Markbass a bit - as for the EBS, possibly one of the best bits of kit I've ever been parted with...if only it had been a bit smaller.[/font][/size]