Why become a member? ×

Vote on the Basschat Reputation System

Kiwi

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1321730252' post='1442579']
Aherm. Works the same with a woman too. :)

And yes, of course you're correct. However, you do get a glimpse of what each person is like from the way they write - it may take a little while, but even your most monosyllabic posts contribute to creating an image of you for those who take the time to notice.

I am a member of several local forums, and we have regular real life meetups, and my impressions of each poster's character have been relatively correct so far. It's harder to imagine someone's physical aspect (unless they provide a photo), but sometimes you can sort of guess that too!
[/quote]
Spot on. Like. :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1321727634' post='1442517']
Both the top 2 are in favour of the system. Therefore together they outweigh the neggs
[/quote]

Ooooh - I've heard of this I think - is this that proportional misrepresentation thing the politicos were trying to sell us last year? :)

I've got to say I don't really see the point in the whole 'like' 'dislike' thing at all.

If someone likes what I say then fair enough, I'm not going to run naked up and down Main Street to celebrate the fact.
If someone doesn't like what I say then that's their opinion and they're entitled to it even if they are obviously a sausage on a stick short of a buffet.

I personally think it's just a way of feeding the warped egos of the archetypal internet 'warriors', and the fact that someone has opened a fake account so they can 'like' their own posts really illustrates that far better than mere words.

I have just voted to deactivate the system. Personally I can't see the point in anyone needing the opinions of members as to whether they like or dislike another member. That's surely just a personal view. If you dissagree with a post or someone's views, just say so! But that should make no difference to how you feel toward someone, especially if you've never met them.

However, if this facility should remain in place, I'd just like to make it clear that I really like fluffy kittens and would like to use my bass playing to put an end to world conflict and all known diseases.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1321738017' post='1442689']
However, if this facility should remain in place, I'd just like to make it clear that I really like fluffy kittens and would like to use my bass playing to put an end to world conflict and all known diseases.
[/quote]

Just as an experiment to see how many dislikes one person can get in the space of 24 hours...

...I'd like to make it clear that I would like to use my bass to create a new disease that eradicates fluffy kittens... :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1321738722' post='1442692']
Just as an experiment to see how many dislikes one person can get in the space of 24 hours...

...I'd like to make it clear that I would like to use my bass to create a new disease that eradicates fluffy kittens... :)
[/quote]

Everyone's going to "like" you now just to wind you up. So, the old double bluff trick eh? :)

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1321741346' post='1442717']
Everyone's going to "like" you now just to wind you up. So, the old double bluff trick eh? :)
[/quote]

Yeah, but there's always the chance that I'm not joking which'd make it a triple bluff, but having just admitted that, it might be a quadruple bluff... or not. :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1321702495' post='1442115']What I do think is a waste of space is the endless lists of every single bit of kit a person owns - or worse still a huge list of every artist a person listens to - there should be a limit to the number of lines that can occupy.
[/quote]I think no post should go through that is shorter than the signature :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1321737887' post='1442688']
I personally think it's just a way of feeding the warped egos of the archetypal internet 'warriors', and the fact that someone has opened a fake account so they can 'like' their own posts really illustrates that far better than mere words.
[/quote]That a mod would be heavily dropping hints and comments about it shows that the system is already being abused and far from anonymous. This particular mod has an argument with me in another thread and I feel this is being used to win that. I've already been told by one mod that I will be banned if I say anything negative about a mod. Yeah reputation system :)

My girlfriend opened an account to mock the whole thing. So you have a slander issue that's factually wrong. Sure she did it to protect me but am I going to tell her to stop as the internet is a scared place and people will get totally bent out of shape if you mock them? I'm sure there's no way this will be rectified short of simply silencing me. So long and thanks for all the fish.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1321658065' post='1441831']Already we know of one member (not a mod) who created a separate profile so they could like their own posts under the other profile and then asked why we were taking issue with their posts when they were liked so many times...but my lips will remain sealed...they know who they are.
[/quote]Since you're only choice here is to ban or admit you may have been wrong I'll go down in flames.

Your lips haven't remained sealed, you're gossiping and trying to make personal attacks with supposedly private information.

And If I can't talk about all the people who have liked my posts as testimonial for my reputation then what's the point of a popularity contest? I've only used it for what you yourself said it's purpose was. You've already said you will moderate which likes and dislikes stay based on your opinion of their validity. Maybe a pet would satisfy these needs better?

Edited by Vibrating G String