Why become a member? ×

Vote on the Basschat Reputation System

Kiwi

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1321888803' post='1444070']
That doesn't make much sense to me to be honest. Given the poll options the example doesn't work instead it would be:

Red Party = 50
Red And Yellow Party to share the rule = 50
Yellow Party = 4
Green Party = 51

So in the above the Red Party has been voted for 100 times and only 51 + 4 are against the red party
[/quote]
I feel so stupid, you really lost me on that one. :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1321888803' post='1444070']
That doesn't make much sense to me to be honest. Given the poll options the example doesn't work instead it would be:

Red Party = 50
Red And Yellow Party to share the rule = 50
Yellow Party = 4
Green Party = 51

So in the above the Red Party has been voted for 100 times and only 51 + 4 are against the red party
[/quote]
:)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1321918554' post='1444514']
I'll try to rephrase :-)

10 people like the colour red
10 people like red and yellow
10 people don't like red or yellow

In this case 20 like red, 10 like yellow and 10 like neither.

Make sense?
[/quote]
No, because your options are not analogous to the options available in this poll.

Make sense?
[/quote]
No, because you're conflating liking red [i]and[/i] yellow with liking red alone.

I had a black and gold Ducati, which I thought looked really nice, but I detest gold on its own as a colour and would have been mightily p*ssed off had my black and gold bike been delivered as gold only.

Make sense?
[/quote]
Where's the yellow button? :)

In any case, red and yellow make orange. There's an orange button at the top for searching. I vote we keep search.

It's at times like this when I feel torn between contributing to the sillyness and risk undermining the poll or being boring and talking about self policing.

In the past I've said we avoid self policing but actually we do self police. The mods have all been members at some point - apart from Ped who is a bit french anyway so doesn't count. (I typed that because he's reading this post at the moment).

What I believe self policing refers to is a moderator-free forum which doesn't work.

The reason is that if you have a mod-free forum, there's no clear basis for one member to pick another up on something that has been said. Yes, the occasional comment is helpful especially where consensus is created as a result. That's great if its in the interests of the forum. However cries of 'you're oversensitive, grow a thicker skin' can often be countered by 'you're immature, grow up'. Who's right or wrong and how is that affected by context?

Also consensus isn't generated on a consistent basis in a mod-free forum and SOME form of heirarchy amongst members is formed anyway eg. length of time on the forum, number of posts, technical expertise on a topic etc. None of these status related aspects relate to emotional maturity and how well a member can act in the interests of the forum. Sometimes a member will do that and its great but typically some other members become self appointed simply by being more confrontational than others. Confrontation too frequently leads to conflict and a conflict-based heirarchy is not conducive to a positive experience on the forum. We've seen some particularly status conscious members in the past clutch at these status related aspects like a drowning man clutching at straws. That's why we did away with post counts under people's names for a while and that's why Dood has over 8 or 9 million posts. It cuts out the status-conscious crap and lets the mods get on with their jobs.

Discreet, I'd love to see any examples you know of a happy, friendly, open and moderator free forum. Honestly. I've never seen one.

Members often comment how friendly Basschat is and, to be frank, that's purely because we have a fantastic moderating team. Each moderators job is to think of the interests forum in sorting out issues. They have a clear mandate from Ped, I and the other mods to do their role and they support each other. It's a fantastic system that works really well and avoids things getting personal.

I can't think of a better way to do it than the way we have now.

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this point has already been made, but the big problem for me with the 'dislike' facility is that it is unclear what it means. It may mean that one disapproves of a post, because it is rude or aggressive in nature, or simply that one disagrees with it. A member with a net negative score, and hence a 'bad' reputation, may have acquired it through persistent boorishness, or by consistently defending, however politely and reasonably, unpopular views. This seems unfair to me.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1321969922' post='1444904']
I'm shocked only 160 people have voted out of nearly 19,000 members.
[/quote]

Yes! But remember only a fraction of that 19,000 are regular posters who have an opinion on the reputation system.
If you're not a regular poster then you probably couldn't care less either way! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321970842' post='1444919']
Yes! But remember only a fraction of that 19,000 are regular posters who have an opinion on the reputation system.
If you're not a regular poster then you probably couldn't care less either way! :)
[/quote]

Wise words :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1321969922' post='1444904']
I'm shocked only 160 people have voted out of nearly 19,000 members.
[/quote]

It might also be an indication of the way society has gone when it comes to voting. Unions having a "mandate" to call a strike even when only one third of those eligable to vote have voted. One referendum I know of, claiming half the population were in favour of a wind farm when only 3% of those eligable to vote had done so. Nearly 40% of the voting population don't vote in general elections.

We make the democracy we end up with. Or not.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1321978044' post='1445059']
One referendum I know of claiming half the population were in favour of a wind farm, when only 3% of those eligible to vote had done so.
[/quote]

I take your point, but at least the wind farm hadn't been built before asking people to vote on it.