Why become a member? ×

Vote on the Basschat Reputation System

Kiwi

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1321969922' post='1444904']
I'm shocked only 160 people have voted out of nearly 19,000 members.
[/quote]

I'd bet that a large proportion of those 19,000 members are long gone.

it would be interested to see a breakdown of membership based on when they last logged on or their login frequency, e.g.

# members who logged on in last week
# members who logged on in last month
# members who logged on in last quarter
# members who logged on in last year
# members who have only ever logged in once or twice (i.e. signed up, asked one question, then never returned).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321979636' post='1445081']
I take your point, but at least the wind farm hadn't been built before asking people to vote on it.
[/quote]

Ooh, negged again for speaking my mind! Y'know, I'll be quite glad when this system is gone! :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1321982245' post='1445143']

it would be interested to see a breakdown of membership based on when they last logged on or their login frequency, e.g.

# members who have only ever logged in once or twice (i.e. signed up, asked one question, then never returned).
[/quote]

I expect there are a lot of non bass players who have registered just to post a 'Bass Player Wanted' thread or someone replying to a 'For Sale' ad and have not been back since.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1321983091' post='1445162']
I expect there are a lot of non bass players who have registered just to post a 'Bass Player Wanted' thread or someone replying to a 'For Sale' ad and have not been back since.
[/quote]

The FS sections are always seeing noobs who show up to sell something then run. :)

If you look on this as the 'reputation voting' of the reputation system. I.e. vote to get rid = a neg vote. Why have we posted 240+ posts? Surely there is no point in DEBATING and HAVING A LAUGH when all we have to do is click a red or green box or in this case vote on yes or no or just a bit of it!!!

Stop this stupid pointless system and TALK!! Its called bassCHAT ffs.

Phew did I just loose my temper? :)

Not aimed at anyone at all. Its been an exercise and we have learned now we can all grow and be better people for it :) ............ Or can we???? :)

A

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1321982245' post='1445143']

[/quote]

I have access to this sort of data and actually many of the members are active and visiting the site. We have over 50,000 unique visitors a month (who stay for a little while rather than accidentally landing here) but I think many members simply aren't bothered about things like this, at the end of the day. I use lots of other forums and if there was a similar poll on talkphotography for instance I wouldn't care at all, despite having hundreds of posts there.

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1321994745' post='1445352']
hmmm, it seems the majority are in favour of some kind of rep system, but they are divided between two options. Unless one of these options gets an outright majority, will you be axing the system altogether?
[/quote]

Another way of saying what I was trying to get across :) ta muchly

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1321995127' post='1445353']
Another way of saying what I was trying to get across :) ta muchly
[/quote]
Yep me too. But I'm fairly content in the knowledge that when faced with 3 options most people here just won't see it that way (even when you helpfuly broke it down to that red / yellow thing).

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1321996938' post='1445373']
Yep me too. But I'm fairly content in the knowledge that when faced with 3 options most people here just won't see it that way (even when you helpfuly broke it down to that red / yellow thing).
[/quote]

Oh good :) it wasn't jibberish then

I tactically voted for the second one, because I really do think we should have a rep system, but actually prefer 'likes only' - i'm just concerned that if the more popular one doesn't get as many votes as the 'axe it' option then it will indeed be axed

Seems like a popularity contest to me... and I doubt that will be what it is intended for and will be discredited.

I have seen forums split the camp like this before and then the whole thing that made it a general community ended up as a very small active content..
You might still attract new members so you can appeal to advertisers ....................................
You'll get self serving cliques or groups and a herd mentality which might even hunt in packs to promote their own end or products. This needn't be premeditated
but that wont stop it.
.........which will promote a backlash from a few who then will go off and find another forum and you'll lose good members and be left with a jolly little club...

It will be no good thinking...this forum is different because of the people who are here..they all think that.

The single most valuable resource here is people and their opnions/experience...diverse as they may be, as that encourages new members.
If you lose that..you could become a club and end up like the MM forum

Notwithstanding the likelihood (or otherwise) of JT's apocalyptic predictions, the passion and eloquence of his argument is almost enough to sway me into a negative vote.

The facility to positively rate someone's contribution to a chummy debate is one thing. To place the tools of divisiveness in the hands of self-serving, pack-hunting cliques is another matter entirely. The threat posed by the Scarlet Badge Of Shame[sup][size=2]TM[/size][/sup] is a clear and present danger to the cohesion of our community.

Which is why I urge those who have not yet voted to hurl themselves behind the campaign to retain the green Like button.

Thank You.

I've just voted without reading the 13 pages that have preceded this post.
I do feel that having a negative option / dislike isn't the most ideal setup.
If I posted a couple of things and accidentally that upset / disagreed with other people's opinions then I'd get a dislike vote purely for having an opinion which wouldn't encourage me to post in the future in case I get disliked again - and i'm a sensitive soul!.
I don't think that being negative is the way forward, but the like thing is a good touch.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1322006796' post='1445515']
Seems like a popularity contest to me... and I doubt that will be what it is intended for and will be discredited.

I have seen forums split the camp like this before and then the whole thing that made it a general community ended up as a very small active content..
You might still attract new members so you can appeal to advertisers ....................................
You'll get self serving cliques or groups and a herd mentality which might even hunt in packs to promote their own end or products. This needn't be premeditated
but that wont stop it.
.........which will promote a backlash from a few who then will go off and find another forum and you'll lose good members and be left with a jolly little club...

It will be no good thinking...this forum is different because of the people who are here..they all think that.

The single most valuable resource here is people and their opnions/experience...diverse as they may be, as that encourages new members.
If you lose that..you could become a club and end up like the MM forum
[/quote]

I'm not sure I understand where this has come from.

How long has the Like/Dislike system been here?

Against

How long has Basschat existed without the Like/Dislike system.

I just urge anyone who hasn't voted to read all sides of the discussion, make their own mind up and actually vote.

Whatever the result I will be staying here and accept the majority outcome.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1322009093' post='1445532']
I urge those who have not yet voted to hurl themselves behind the campaign to retain the green Like button.
[/quote]

[center][b][size=5]VOTE GREEN AND LIKEABLE! YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE![/size][/b][/center]

[center][/center]

[left]It's going to be hard to lose our high-scoring 'Like' totals though, isn't it Skank? :)[/left]

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1322044615' post='1445680']
I've just voted without reading the 13 pages that have preceded this post.
I do feel that having a negative option / dislike isn't the most ideal setup.
If I posted a couple of things and accidentally that upset / disagreed with other people's opinions then I'd get a dislike vote purely for having an opinion which wouldn't encourage me to post in the future in case I get disliked again - and i'm a sensitive soul!.
I don't think that being negative is the way forward, but the like thing is a good touch.
[/quote]

I know it's not a popular thing to do in this thread but...... +1 :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1322049810' post='1445772']It's going to be hard to lose our high-scoring 'Like' totals though, isn't it Skank? :)
[/quote]
Popular acclamation is a fickle friend and of negligible concern to me. I seek only to serve Truth, harsh mistress though she be. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1322049810' post='1445772']
[left]It's going to be hard to lose our high-scoring 'Like' totals though, isn't it Skank? :)[/left]
[/quote]
Yeah it's a funny old thing this rep system... you make quips all day long and you earn a massive rep score yet if you take time out from your day job to assist people to get their basses working or impart actual knowledge you don't get nowt.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1322050983' post='1445799']
Yeah it's a funny old thing this rep system... you make quips all day long and you earn a massive rep score yet if you take time out from your day job to assist people to get their basses working or impart actual knowledge you don't get nowt.
[/quote]
I couldn't agree more. It is a very silly system and I've said so elsewhere.