Why become a member? ×

Jess Loureiro pickups

Doctor J

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.jlguitars.com/[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Came across this guy a few weeks ago and, since I was looking for something to replace the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz set in my home made J bass. I decided to take a gamble and see what he could do as his prices are very decent. Just a quick look at the coils lets you know they're very definitely handwound. I installed them today, first impressions; I like them a lot, a lot closer to what I think a J bass should sound like than the DiMarzio's, which I found a bit too flat... maybe anonymous sounding. The Loureiro pickups have a very smooth high end, nice open sound to them, big fat low end and decent growly mid. The best thing I can say about them is that the bass sounds great with no EQ, which is the true test, whereas I always had to tweak the EQ to get to a nice place with the Ultra Jazz (and never really got to a sound I was truly happy with).[/font][/size]

[size=3]He desicrbed them as "first era" jazz bass sounding[/size]

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Specs were:[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Output 9k (bridge) and 8k (neck)[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wire: 42 AWG Heavy Formvar[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Magnets: "Calibrated" Alinco 5[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thumbs up from me, definitley worth checking out if you're on the lookout for a replacement pickup.[/font][/size]

• 3 years later...

[quote name='cachao' timestamp='1432038816' post='2777435']
Just ordered one of his split p bass jobbies
[/quote]

Let us know how this goes - the SD QP is just far too bright for me, and I'm almost using it with the tone backed all the way off!

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1432076547' post='2778012']
Let us know how this goes - the SD QP is just far too bright for me, and I'm almost using it with the tone backed all the way off!

D.
[/quote]

Have you set it up to be fairly low? High output pickups like a QP usually sound less "hifi" or bottom & top heavy when set up with a larger than normal gap between pickup poles and strings.

P.S. keeping an eye on that website - may just have to try a "P bass classic" and a loom from the now famously good KiOgon.

Edited by PlungerModerno

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...