Why become a member? ×

Boiling Strings

tangodown87

I've boiled my dead strings for years, but I've always added a drop of washing up liquid in the pan when doing so...it just works to degrease the strings (and leaves the pan super shiny too, win win). On the subject of meths, my brother is a chef by profession and swears by using meths on his stainless steel stuff (knives, hobs, extractor etc.), but remember it's VERY aggressive and will strip oils and finishes from wood, so I wouldn't even recommend a wipe down with meths. Never tried vinegar in the boil-process. Next time maybe.
P

[quote name='Booooooom' timestamp='1321920424' post='1444532']
+1 for meths. I recommend making one of [url="http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/bass_string_cleaning_tube.html"]these[/url].
In addition, I'd thread a short length of drinking straw/tubing over the headstock windings to straighten and bind which makes getting the strings into the tube much easier. Also, run the strings through a clean cloth/piece of kitchen roll as you withdraw them from the tube so you don't splash meths about. Works a treat :)
[/quote]
+1 on this!

I used to boil and the zing comes back for about half a gig and then suddenly its gone again. The main thing that boiling achieves is agitating the strings, you can do this in meths and they won't go rusty! I have sweat like battery acid and I've been experimenting for years to try and get through more than two gigs on a set of strings!

Meths works a treat (24 hours MAX) and has the advantage that you're not heating then cooling - which affects the elasticity of the string, and also not exposing to water which speeds up the oxidization process immensely. Washing up liquid does degrease, but you don't need to boil for the degreasing.

A guitarist I knew used to use WD40 (4 or 5 sprays a gig!) to clear the moisture from the strings and also make it easier to whizz up and down the fretboard. - a bit like fast fret but cheaper! but the best thing you can do to prolong string life is just snap the strings to loosen dirt and then wipe down with a cloth at the end of a gig/rehearsal. And wash your hands (with soap) before you play to get rid of grease and dirt from your fingers.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' timestamp='1321918538' post='1444513']
+1

White Spirit works too, & has the advantage of not absorbing moisture. 2L of turps & a tupperware pasta box from Poundland makes for a good bosh tank.

Pete.
[/quote]

Beware, white spirit is not kind to the skin.

I just lay mine in round coils in a decent sized container.
Don't soak for too long and I don't straighten the winds...as this might weaken the string at that point.

As long as the strings go on the same bass as they came of off...you can get upwards of 5 'cleans' per set if you are careful.

Meths will go off after a time as well...so once it starts collecting stuff like dirt and grime etc ...get new Meths.

[quote name='Booooooom' timestamp='1322051774' post='1445816']
Any DIY shed. Can usually see it a mile off - it's the purple liquid in a clear bottle near the paint brushes. If you're making a tube I posted earlier you'll need two bottles.
[/quote]

Probably cheaper at a Pharmacy / Chemists. But you'll have to ask at the counter.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1321883735' post='1444006']
[color=#ff0000][b]Skim-Reader Warning[/b][/color]: Do Not Boil Meths
[/quote]

i hope there are no ex squaddies reading this ....
thats like saying DONT STICK YOUR FINGERS IN THAT ELECTRIC SOCKET THERE :)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1322127572' post='1446726']
This thing is that you need to keep the meths as clean as poss so a simple
decent size plastic container and lid is enough, IMO.

If the silks get wet...they'll fray which is one reason I was interested in brands without winds..!!
[/quote]

You couldnt use meths to clean video heads because it left a white residue, had to use isopropyl, Those little pre soaked pads that doctors wipe your arm with before an injection were good.

Just a thought - might be good for strings as well.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1321950345' post='1444619']
I've boiled my dead strings for years,[/quote]

I normally find that ten minutes does the trick.

BTW, stupid question maybe, but what the heck.

Why bother with the "string cleaning tube" [sup][size=1]TM[/size][/sup]? Surely it's the meths/IPA/white spirit that does the cleaning, so what effect does the shape of the container have? Has it been proven to be better to have the strings straight rather than coiled loosely? :)

Edited by Conan