Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

Now this looks interesting... Line6 M style multi-fx with amp sims, headphone out and usb connection... plus clones of many great pedals:

[url="http://zoom.co.jp/products/b3"]http://zoom.co.jp/products/b3[/url]

Might tell the wife that's what I want for Xmas if it gets good reviews!

I'm not sure about this yet, it seems quite similar to the M9 in some ways, including what I'd consider to be the M9's big flaw, in that always on effects "waste" one unit. This is from what I can see, worse on the B3, as each slot where you can have an effect on only has one option per bank. This is even worse when you add amp modelling, as that is going to be a feature that a lot of people will want to use a lot, meaning that those 3 slots will become 2, add a compressor, then its 1....Although this can be got past by using patches, it's still quite awkward. However this may not be what they're going for, and I may be trying to look at it the wrong way, zooms products have always been impressive (I've owned the b1x, and still own the b2.1u) but I think that limiting the options to only 3 slots is partially limiting.

My solution? Buy this and stick it on my board with my M9 :)

I'm interested in it because I have no need for amp modelling, I have a compressor. But I want to see if any other effects are useful in my band. Rather than spending hundreds on various effects pedals I can get this, try them out for a while and if they work get a separate dedicated pedal.

I use quiet a lot of Zoom gear (B2, G2, Rhythm Track etc) They can be a bit fiddly working out how to use 'em - but they've all been well made and good value for money. The extreme effects are a bit silly and useless - but worth it for the basic effects and lots of functionality.
This looks really good. Especially the looper. I want one!

I think this could be an excellent replacement for my sadly trashed-by-my-cat Pandora PX5D. I've always liked Zoom stuff, had the B2.1u for a time, and this looks ideal for bits of quick and dirty home recording, home practise and for lazy rehearsals where I don't want to take my full effects board. The only think that this doesn't do that is useful on the PX5D is the slowdown phrase trainer thing which although I don't use often it has got me out of having to busk a phrase instead of knowing it properly.

At £149 it's a done deal, though!

Hi guys,

As most of you have surmised, this is the bass version of the Zoom G3 guitar processor. For those unfamiliar with the G3, it is very similar in functionality and concept to the Line 6 M9. It is incredibly intuitive to operate and all major functions can be worked out without reference to the manual. Just like the Line 6 'M' units, the controls mimic single pedals so it is easy to make on-the-fly adjustments.

With regards to shipping, information is scant at the moment but we are expecting it during the first quarter of 2012.

I hope that helps!

Richard :)

I know it's early days and nobody's had a go on one yet, but does anyone have any insight into what the compressor is going to be like on this thing? I've been using a Zoom B2 as my one and only gigging pedal for over a year now, but during gigs I've been borrowing a Boss CS-2 to make up for the fact that the compressor on the B2 is so shockingly bad. I've recently borrowed a Zoom B9.1ut for a couple of gigs, and the compressor on that thing is excellent.

I was tempted to go down the road of ditching the B2 and going back to separates, but by the time I've done all of that (psu, board, etc) I might as well have bought the B9.1ut anyway. So then I flirted with getting a B9, but the thing is just way too big and expensive and I never use an expression pedal. So the B3 seems like it could be my knight in shiny red armour. Based upon spec/experience do you reckon it'll have a half decent compressor (my main concern!) and therefore be worth holding out for?

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1322846172' post='1456652']
Is the enclosure on this die cast aluminium like the B2.1u? I hope it's not plastic but at 1.2 kg, I think it could be Alu.
[/quote]

Yep, it is. G3 one is.