Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

I've stopped using my B3 since getting a 60B. As good as the B3 is of live use ive just come to realise I don't need various effects that get switched on and off.
I use the 60B as a kind of rack unit and it just sits on my amp. Comp/BDDI/Exciter all on, and for the last slot I'll have a Chorus programmed in, although I rarely turn it on.

I'm not sure how usable the amp sims are live. They sound good to me, and I use them at home via headphones, but I'm sure most of us would be going through an amp anyway at gigs., so it defeats the object of having an accurate amp sim IMO.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1397917721' post='2428627']
For the price of the pedal (cheaper than one Aguilar pedal on its own) its worth a shot new from Amazon or somewhere, then send it back if you don't like it.

I now have the G3 as well. Both great.
[/quote]

Difficult because I'm from Portugal but I'm considering buying one in second hand... it isn't a bad option, yeah, but I will try to get more feedback before buying :)

[quote name='OzzyGreg' timestamp='1371681267' post='2117045']
I had it set up so that anyone could upload/download.
The unfortunate side-effect is that anyone could remove files too!
[/quote]
Using a file sharing site like mega.co.nz may be a better alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of quick questions to those players using these.

1) Is it quick enough to change between patches mid song? i.e. could you set up a clean patch and a dirty patch and switch back and forth between the two?

2) Do the amp sims include a cab sim to roll off the top end? With relation to running fuzz and distortion into a PA.

Thanks

There's also a mod you can do so you can add a couple of footswitches to do patch changes. I keep meaning to get round to doing it myself.

Details: [url="http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/Zoom/index.html?patchselectmod.html"]http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/Zoom/index.html?patchselectmod.html[/url]

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1398700803' post='2436730']
1) yes, there's a patch change mode. Holding down one of the foot switches puts it in that mode.

2) you can select from several different cab models. 8x10, 1x15 a couple of different 4x10...
[/quote]

Great, thanks.

Is the cab sim another FX slot or is it part of the amp sim?

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have the B9.1ut, which is a nice piece of kit, but its HUGE. I'm toying with swapping it out for a B3 or an M60B, and I'm hoping for some opinions. I really only use the B9 for 3 or maybe 4 discrete effects, the expression pedal set for volume is handy but not essential, the tuner function is great. The selling point for the B9 for me was the addition of the valve in the preamp to add a bit of grit to the sound, but its not really that noticable. So which way should I go, B3 or M60B?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, hope you can help me out. I'm using the Zoom B3 and currently have three different patches which I use for equal number of songs, respectively. However, I have noticed that each patch results in a particular volume output. Is there a way to get a balanced volume output from the B3 for these patches, so the volume of the bass remains the same in all songs?

I guess I can control the volume output at the amp level, right? Is that the only way to go or would you recommend other alternative?

The difference in volume is because in one patch for a song I'm using a bass boost, and then for the other song I don't, or have a compressor within the patch... Hope you get what I mean.

Thanks for reading and help!

You can set a volume for each patch. Easiest is to do it in the software. If you want to do it directly in the pedal, this should be probably in the total menu. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1421432590' post='2661233']
Thought this was worth sharing.... a lot of effort but still pretty cool.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy3IFQjP-4k"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Xy3IFQjP-4k[/url]
[/quote]

Is it your work? Rather more sophisticated than what I've put together.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1421446780' post='2661495']
Is it your work? Rather more sophisticated than what I've put together.
[/quote]

Afraid not! I'm not sure I could put the effort in to make something like that, I hardly change the patch on mine, I only use about 3/4 of the effects anyway.
I did make a footswitch for mine, that did the patch select, drum machine on/off and tap tempo, made jamming with it at home quite fun!

Ordered a B3 the other day thanks to this thread, waiting for it to arrive..... Had bee considering getting a dedicated bass amp modeller, and was seriously looing at the Vox StompLab 2B, but after a bit of digging around on t'interweb, I look like the B3 was the one to go for.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the B3 for a week or so now, very pleased with it so far. Mainly using it as an amp sim/DI box, and very pleased with some of the sounds I'm getting out of it. So far, the SVT & Flip Top models are favourites, but the SuperBass, BassMan & Acoustic models are nice too. In fact most of the amp models are pretty darn good. Some of the effects are a bit OTT, but the good thing is that they can be tinkered with, and the factory reset is nice to know about.

I've got a B3. Part of me is considering getting a standalone preamp/DI pedal just for portability/durability/ease of use.

The MXR DI+ appeals on size/cost/features.

Can anyone tell me how representative of the MXR the B3 implementation of it is? i.e if I can get a good sound that I like out of the B3 will I be able to get the same sound from the MXR?

Cheers